_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M901 ITV Help
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 02:59 AM UTC
I am currently working on a 1/35 ITV. Does anybody out there have a suggestion for a scale replacement of the accordion (for lack of a better term) wiring cover that is at the bottom of the turret tower. It looks like the bendable portion of a soda straw (which by the way I tried, but it was too large for scale use.) I want the tower to be opperational, i.e. can be lowered or erected. For that reason the rigid plastic parts that come with the kit can't be used. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. :-)
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 03:42 AM UTC
I will look up tonight in an old Military Modeler, as I know there is a story about them in there. Also I have the Verlinden kit for the 901...I'll see what they use.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am currently working on a 1/35 ITV. Does anybody out there have a suggestion for a scale replacement of the accordion (for lack of a better term) wiring cover that is at the bottom of the turret tower. It looks like the bendable portion of a soda straw (which by the way I tried, but it was too large for scale use.) I want the tower to be opperational, i.e. can be lowered or erected. For that reason the rigid plastic parts that come with the kit can't be used. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Can I suggest that you contact "Tankrider"? John led a cavalry platoon that had that useless piece of equipment within its structure. I know he is out of the country, but he responded to the M1A1 question on blow off panels so he can access the system. If you have the Shep Paine book on dioramas, he used wire wound around a dowel to simulate springs. I just do not recall the specific aspect of the system you reference. I can tell you that I, and I believe this was universal, did not believe the vehicle contributed much to our combat power. The system was notorious for breaking down and parts were almost impossible to get. Regardless, John may be your best source of information.
Hope this helps.
DJ
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Delta42,

I 'softened' up a piece of styrene rod, bent it and wrapped fine solder around it. Glued in place it looks a-ok. Stinks that they don't give you that option, but an easy fix.

I combined kit, Tamiya and the Verlinden conversion as well as some scratch building (frame for the grenade launchers) as well as Yoshida PE parts for all the tie-downs.

I had a lot of fun with this kit.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 04:51 AM UTC
I've got an ITV at work and will be there in a month. I also have two of the turret trainers at my location too (full turret on a skeleton chassis). You may be able to see them in my motor pool gallery. I don't recall if I took any shots and uploaded them.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got an ITV at work and will be there in a month. I also have two of the turret trainers at my location too (full turret on a skeleton chassis). You may be able to see them in my motor pool gallery. I don't recall if I took any shots and uploaded them.

Rob--help me out here. Is the spring system he refers to the one that extends the launcher once she comes out of the hull?
DJ
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Rob--help me out here. Is the spring system he refers to the one that extends the launcher once she comes out of the hull?
DJ

Actually, I think it's the rubber wiring conduit that connects the guidance, controls and eletrical/electronic controls to operate the turret. Like Tankrider, my scout platoon was a 113/901 platoon. It was a great TO&E for those "DIP" (Die-In-Place) missions!
My best friend had just taken command of an anti-armor guard company which still has the POS in the inventory. I'll see if I can't get there to check one out (or obtain a TM, Stupidly, I only kept the M113 TM.).
I don't know if you have it, but the Verlinden Warmachines books do have some good images of the 901, including TM diagrams. (I am sorry, but I do not remember which volume).
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:14 PM UTC
Best bet is to go down to the harware store and find a spring the right size and cut it to length. You might also get some black RTV in the small tube and coat the spring with the RTV.

And yes they were a POS could never keep up with the main body, but we could reach out and touch you (3800m).
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 01:22 PM UTC
Here are some pics of my ITV platoon.

ITVs

m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Best bet is to go down to the harware store and find a spring the right size and cut it to length. You might also get some black RTV in the small tube and coat the spring with the RTV.

And yes they were a POS could never keep up with the main body, but we could reach out and touch you (3800m).

I like the spring/RTV idea! I will try that with my AMT one...

I always appreciated the range and the optics of the vehicle, but I would never plan on a protracted fight with anything heavier than a BMP with it. 125mm smoothbore flies a lot faster!
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excuse my ignorance, but what is RTV.
CARFACE
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 09:38 PM UTC
Dalta42,
A few years ago I built a few NASCAR kits and there were brake cooling ducts available on the aftermarket which should look almost exactly like this control conduit. I'll try to find out a source and then PM you with details.
HTH
CARFACE
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Friday, November 08, 2002 - 09:57 PM UTC
Delta,
Lots of good ideas were posted... I would try to find some children's "juice pouches"-- Capri Sun, Kool Aid or the like and liberate the smaller in diameter flexible straw. I think Kool Aid has one such one as I was thinking of using it to resurrect that Verlinden conversion that was as big of a POS as the real vehicle was... Great scout vehicle . It did give us thermal sights when the hammer head worked. Oh well, that was the Army in the 1980's
HTH
John
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 12:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Excuse my ignorance, but what is RTV.

Room Temperature Vulcanizing rubber.

m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dalta42,
A few years ago I built a few NASCAR kits and there were brake cooling ducts available on the aftermarket which should look almost exactly like this control conduit. I'll try to find out a source and then PM you with details.
HTH
CARFACE

There's an IPMS car show here today. I will look thru the vendors and see if I can get some.
Tankrider, now that you jogged my memory, I do remember seeing those straws on juice boxes (Mott's apple is one that comes to mind). I'll take a look there too.
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 02:53 AM UTC
Thanks to everyone for your help and responses. This is what makes this site the great place that it is.
 _GOTOTOP