_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
"By The Book Campaign" Official Thread
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 05:27 AM UTC
By The Book is ON Now.

We've got 39 participants, which is great, considering this campaign has a bit of a twist to it. My quick survey of posts in the first BTB topic seems to show a majority of participants going down the non-fiction road...there are a few of us on that fiction highway as well.

Like I said, I'm a first-timer at running a Campaign so I'm willing to listen to ideas.

I really like the idea of posting the cover of the book in the Topic (so much I copied it!). I know it'll suck bandwidth, but I think it adds interest as well.

If you're not familiar with the twist in this campaign, you must pick a passage from a book, fiction or non-fiction, and build your diorama based on your own visualization of the scene as written...and then you have to post the passage a a part of your entry.

For more info, or to sign up:
Click Here For Campaign Info

That's it for now- if you've signed up, Thanks and Have Fun!!

Jim
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 04:09 PM UTC
Thanks for the link, Jester, i wish you luck in running this campaign

I´m trying to build an scene of Tom Clancy´s "Red Storm Rising", the part when Clancy starts describing the Soviet attempt to force a decisive breakthrough in Hameln, when the Allied (British forces in my case) are resisting even due heavy losses. I´ll try to built it bigger, to include more figures and German vehicles. Maybe then i´ll change the scene to Alfeld, during Soviet breakthrough is succefully achieved by General Alexseyev., but time and skills are big enemies of this! I love this book, and i think i might try to get more and better dioramas of it. I wish that everyone put ideas to go on it!
Best Regards
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 03:49 PM UTC
Bump da Bump bump...

How's everyone doing. I know it is a while til the campaign is done but I'm curious how everyone's doing?

I'm overloading myself with material. I'd decided on a passage from Larry Bond's "Red Phoenix". Urban combat, tight quarters, vrey cool! Now I started reading "Protect and Defend" by Eric Harry- hypothetical combat between US and Chinese forces in Siberia...

Decisions!

Let us all know what yor planning! Post you "passage" if you've decided!

Jim
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 01:38 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

Here is my current update;

"On Saipan, these caves were both natural and man-made. Often natural vegetation gave them excellent camouflage. Some had steel doors which could be opened for an artillery piece or machine gun to fire, and then retreat behind the door before return fire could take effect. The flame-throwing tanks could reach many of these caves and so proved very useful."

Another section spoke of assistance from a medium tank and Satan together to attack a pilbox. So my plan is to make both just after an attack on something, Haven't figured out exactly what, along with some grunts with a flamer.

So far I have the Satan put together. I will apply the first coats and show another Pic. I want to wait untill I have everything together before I give it the finishing weathering.

Hope everyone is starting OK.
Bob
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 05:40 AM UTC
Here is the update photo;

My Wife named the upcoming diorama-"Ding Dong, Satan Calling" Kind of catchy.

Bob
wombatq
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:35 AM UTC
Hey all

Boy, did I bite off more than I can chew. Not only did I sign up, but my nine year old wants to build a dio too. (Does it hurt that he wants to use it for a book report too?)

My build:
Scene from 'Goodbye, Darkness'. Its from a "dream sequence" author William Manchester has. He, as a 50-something writer, looking by as his comrades from the "Raggedy-Ass Marines" walk by on Okinawa. I'm not sure of all the details yet, but I might be able to get away with no vehicles, or something like that. I've been toying with the Warriors Marine Figures, and will see what else I can find.

Me and the little man:
He's just finished reading Band of Brothers and wants to do something about the 101st. I'm not sure where this is going to go, but we can work on it from there.

Do good work and keep in touch.

Marc
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2005 - 02:52 AM UTC
Well i have few projects on my mind and will consider each of them.

So far i've decided that i will make one for sure, its a 120mm samurai figure from Japan's history book "The story fo 47 samurai". One of the most famous actions in their history when a group of 47 ronin's (samurai with no master) attacked a fully guarded house and assasinated its owner as a revenge for making their master to do Harakiri.
Im making a figure of one of their leaders, Jujiro Hazama who was the one to crash the front gate and find and slain the "bad boss".

here is the progress

More to come when i get all of the things in one place.

AND im glad to see that the banner i designed is like official one for this campaing, cheers
all who want to use it can find it on folowing link

https://gallery.kitmaker.net/data/500/By_the_Book.jpg

cheers
Mirko

Woork
Visit this Community
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 7 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 05:28 AM UTC
How is the camapign going guys?

I've made some progress on my small WW2 Airborne vignette inspired by the book Band of brothers.

But they are still far from finished...

Happy Modelling!
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 04:56 PM UTC
Love the banner!

NOW we need a ribbon! Lets get those juices flowing- just make sure to save enough for your builds!

I'm zeroing in on my BTB Dio idea...got to get my T2K 2005 done, but, I'm getting ideas lined up for BTB. Looking like Korean War II is the general topic.

Keep the ideas coming...Anyone want to post their "passage" to whet our appetities??

Jim
Amateur Campaign Leader
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 11:38 PM UTC
How about a small book for the campaign ribbon?

Just a thought!

I've got some spare time next week, hopefully I can start my project then!

Still having trouble to decide which subject to choose....

Cya,
Martin
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 04:40 AM UTC
How about a medal with a book as the bottom part?Just an idea. Or maybe one of those little additions on a ribbon, in lue of a secnd award sort of thing.

Alot of good starts and ideas. Lucky man Marc (wombatq) you should have alot of fun with the little one. Alot of work, but just concentrate on the fun part.

Enough job searching back to modeling. :-)

Bob
GI_Babycakes
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 451 posts
Armorama: 254 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 04:50 AM UTC
a small, open book?
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 05:01 AM UTC
Yep that would work out ok.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:30 PM UTC
Great Ribbon ideas!

Who wants to take a shot at this?? I'd really like to see one of the participants make the ribbon for this Campaign! Here's a chance for you all to put your mark on this Campaign!

Also- who's gonna be first to post their "passage"?? I'd do it (I suppose I should since I dreamt this goofy thing up) but I am not sure what my text is yet...

I really am anxious to see this Campaign unfold!!

Jim
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:39 PM UTC
I haven´t decided yet what passage i´m going to use, since at this moment I´ve only built the tank and a couple of figures, also don´t know yet how big i´m going to made it (BTW, my book it´s Clancy´s Red Storm Rising :-) ).....so, you have to wait for me a little, but i´m still on it, that´s for sure...
best regards
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 04:18 PM UTC
Look up further, under the pic of the book cover is the passage. The only problem is that I might go with the next paragraph stating the 3 working together, M4, a Satan, and some USMC with a portable flamer. Depends on what all I can afford and get together.

Not me on the ribbon, sorry. Not good with the graphics.

By GI_Babycakes question I thought she might.

Keep up the good work,
Bob
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 06:22 PM UTC
Sorry Bob... You win the non award award for being the first to commit!! Thanks Bud!

I'll nail mine soon- I think! Problem is I just bought a new book-"3rd World War" by Humphrey Hawksley, and I have another Korean War 2 novel to re-read (38 North Yankee).

Jim
ACL (Amateur Campaign Leader)
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 07:01 PM UTC
I've made a ribbon:

An old, open book, with the letters of By The Book....

Martin
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 03:32 PM UTC
Looks good Martin!! I like it.

Anyone else got the creative juices to take a shot at the BTB Ribbon??

Jim
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 05:27 PM UTC
Whoohoo my By the Book entry can be found here: Tank Terror - Soviet Union 1941

This was fun!

Martin
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 - 10:18 AM UTC
Congrats Martinn!! Very nice!

The German's terror is very well portrayed...you can sense it. And almost see 5 seconds in the future as his fate is sealed...very compelling work.

Anyone else close to done?? Started?? Or are you all like me, scrambling to finish other Campaigns?

Jim
Tommy_Guns
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hello everybody, the passage I will try to recreate is from Melchior Wankowicz Monte Cassino. As far as I know this is the most detailed account of the Polish assault on Monte Cassino. I am about 45% done withe the book and each time a page passes I feel like making a dio of yet another passage. The book is written in Polish so I will try to translate
a portion of it as best as I can and include it in with the diorama pictures.

The basic idea was of a soldier who was stranded behind the lines... he tried to make his way back only to accidentaly stumble by a German bunker... he is spotted and finds refuge in a disabled tank, he takes a few pot shots and scores some hits but finaly runs out of munition... he is captured and shortly after a brief questioning... jumps out of the bunker and runs back to his lines... no one believes his story (including the author of the book)... untill he shows proof and is backed up by his company collegues in regards to his repuation. The vignette will show the soldier in the tank taking the pot shots at charging/fleeing German troops, all in 1/72 scale.
Jaster
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 10:15 AM UTC
Well...the Holiday season is just about passed. That means I get "my" table back (I build on the dining room table) and can get started on my BTB entry.

I'm close to a decision, but am afraid it is a bit too "big". Building buildings and all.

More important though- How is everyone else coming?

Jim

And to ALL- HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Lucky
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2005 - 11:35 AM UTC
Hmm, I just signed up today and have no idea what I'll be doing. I just got a copy of Grenadiers by Kurt Meyer, and I recently read Twilight of the Gods. So maybe I can find a subject from there. I should do some . Anyway, there's some great work here. I look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with.
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 07:48 AM UTC
Well 30 more days left until campaign ends...

what happened to Jaster? is this campaign still alive? Gallery where we should post pics?

cheers
Mirko
 _GOTOTOP