_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Finished TOS-1 Flamethrower Rocket Launcher
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 02:18 AM UTC
I posted this in the campaign thread as well, in case some of you have run across this.

This is a 1/35 conversion using DML's T-72M2 kit and a SP Designs TOS-1 Buratino (pinnochio) conversion. I also added a lot of additional details, like the front glacis wiring. A full report on all the work and changes I made can be seen by following this link

The real vehicle is a short range (2-6Km) 220mm Multiple Launch Rocket System TOS-1 Buratino (pinnochio) "Flamethrower Rocket Launcher". Wow. It is used by Russian forces to apply maximum firepower in a TACTICLE situation rather than at the Strategic level that most MLRS are used at AND it fires two special warheads: Fuel-air explosive and Napalm. Again, HOLY MOLEY! Where can I buy one!? There are reports that they have been used in the Chechian wars and that they were VERY effective in built up areas in taking out pilboxes and reinforced strongpoints. Yikes.

To be honest, it was somewhat of a bear of a build. The main issue i had cam e basically from the age of the DML T-72M2 kit. I have always enjoyed that kit, but after building some of the newer DML kits, it is really starting to show its age. I am sure I could have had a better time with the Tamiya T-72 except for the front glacis armour which would have to be removed...no thanks.

Once the build was complete, I painted it up in Model master Acrylics colors: US Army/Marines Desert Sand for the tan, Dark Green for the green, and NATO tri-color black for the black. Using my future floor polish/Windsor and Newton water color mix, I gave it a good glosscoating, not for any decals or markings, of which there are none, but to help blend the colors. Then I used two coats of Pollyscale flatcoat and then added some pastels to top it all off.

Here are a couple of detail shots to show some of the more challenging changes:

The front glacis. I pretty much had to scrape all the details off the front glacis, fill in the location holes, and then redetail/rewire it. I also added the correct "cuts" in the armor plate for the wiring to run through, and also the wiring "nodes" between the smoke grenade launchers. I also added the three "ribs" above the splash vane and additional details onthe drivers persicope and around the drivers hatch.

Feet of a Arsonist. :-) The reason I included this shot is mainly for Olivier who also built this kit so he can get a good shot at the reworking of the stabilization feet.

So now it is done and on to other projects!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 02:39 AM UTC
I normally do not reply on builds unless I know something about the vehicle modeled. I know nothing about that one, but it just compelled me to say something about the painting.
Wonderful job there Jacques. Very impressive. It was mostly airbrushed I assume? I really like the blending of colors. Great job.
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 02:43 AM UTC
Jacques,
Great to see it finally done. This might just be the inspiration I need to add another T-72 conversion to the pile.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 07:21 AM UTC
That looks great Jaques It looks like something out of a Godzilla movie Fantastic job overall
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 01:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the compliments guys.
yes, I used an airbrush for hte cammo...and a Testors Aztek to boot ( I know some people think they cannot do fine detail work. I like mine just fine, thank you.)

And yes, once I had built it I started thinking of renting a rubber godzilla suit... #:-)

My only peeve with the real vehicle is that there are no markings on it whatsoever. Not at the trade shows, not in use in Chechnya, not on manuevers. Nothing.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 03:09 AM UTC
Well, one thing is for sure, it's definately not aerodynamic :-) Nice build of an unusual subject. Have been tossing around the idea of building one myself some day. Thanks for sharing. "Q"
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 08:35 AM UTC
Man i would love to see this vehicle fire its rounds. Almost reminds me of the ship from the Aliens movie that had enough missles loaded on each wing which looks like the missle launchers on this rocket launcher.

I really like the camo work done on this.
 _GOTOTOP