_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Elefants in Afrika
crossfire
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:22 PM UTC
Does anyone know if Rommel used Elefants in Afrika and if so what color are they and what is the color you use in paints. ohhh thank you short and sweet
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:38 PM UTC
IMO i dont think elefants were ever used in africa.....and, no, the germans didn't use the four-legged versions either LOL :-)
lanks
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 09:41 PM UTC
I know I shouldn't but I just got to.....
a nice shade of grey with a heavy coating of dust and a little off white for the tusks!!!!!! :-) :-)

Seriously though no elefants were used in Africa.

Thanks for the opprtunity to have a little fun and hope no offence taken.

Mark

thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:52 AM UTC
I dont think they would have lasted in the desert. They broke down all over the place.

warthog
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 01:05 AM UTC
Elefants were used mainly in Russia and Italy (1st battalion only)
AikinutNY
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 01:25 AM UTC
Only two units received the Ferdinand or Elefant, the 653rd and 654th Panzerjager Battalions. Both units were deployed in Russia and fought at Kursk in July 1943. The 654th turned all its Ferdinands over to the 653rd and was equipted with Jadgpanthers. The 2nd Company of the 653rd was sent to Italy (the closest an Elefant came to Afrika).

The Afrika campaign ended in May 1943, so there was very little chance that any of the Ferdinand were even thought of being sent to North Africa.

Two Ferdinands out of the orginal 90 some, survived the rest of the war to go to the battle for Berlin. One brokedown in route, they were not the most reliable of vehicles. and the last was captured or destroyed in a town, not the best place to put a long range tank killer.

They had a great long range tank killing weapon and heavy armor, but were never used properly and are there for judged as a poor weapons system.

Unless you do a "What if diorama" with a desert yellow Ferdinand driving past the Sphinx it would hot of happened. You could also add an Egyptian SS soldier on his camel directing the crew. The Ferdinand crews did look cute in their shorts and umbrellas to get out of the hot Italian sun.
 _GOTOTOP