Problems with realistic water from woodland
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hello Everybody

I bought realistic water from woodland scenics a while ago. I used it in a ardennes dio. I poured the water in layers of 3 to 5 mm thick. But does the water stay dull???? It does not get clear the way i want it to be
Who can help me????

Greetz Roel
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:14 AM UTC
I hate to say it- but I think you're stuck. I haven't used it myself but I have heard nothing good about it. You may be out of luck.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:40 AM UTC
I believe the realistic water was intended for waterfalls hence the witish appearance
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 417 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:41 AM UTC
How long ago did you pour it?
I recently used it in a small PT Boat dio and it worked fine.
My pour was not as thick and it took about 48 hours for it to clear up. Yours may take longer.
Darktrooper
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 581 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:43 AM UTC
I had the same problem too, it takes a couple days for it to go clear. Here's what I did to solve that problem.

Take a pin, poke holes in the realistic water where it's cloudy. Then put the dio in a south facing window (works good if it's a sunny day).
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 12:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe the realistic water was intended for waterfalls hence the witish appearance

Actually Water Effects is for sculpting waterfalls and such and Realistic Water is for regular pours. Both start out white and dry clear.
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 02:28 AM UTC
ı used before this stuff. It is yellowish and very little dull. Instead of pouring in layers , if you can, pour it in just one layer. You'll see that it is not so dull. I strongly reccomend you to try this stuff on a clean place to see how it reacts. The used "realistic water" can be reused if it is clean. I do agree that it is not an easy to apply material.
Good luck
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 02:41 AM UTC
Woodlandscenics has 3 water products. One is pellets that you heat and pour, this is the yellowish tinted one. One is realistic water, which must be poured in very thin layers. It's dry time depends on humidity and temperature - less humidity and warmer is better. Water effects, as stated above, is for simulating water movment. I used the later two on my stug dio in my gallery.
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Woodlandscenics has 3 water products. One is pellets that you heat and pour, this is the yellowish tinted one. One is realistic water, which must be poured in very thin layers. It's dry time depends on humidity and temperature - less humidity and warmer is better. Water effects, as stated above, is for simulating water movment. I used the later two on my stug dio in my gallery.

Ahh.. Yes, John is right. Sorry guys my fault. The product which I used is "EZ water" the pellets.. So my critics are not valuable in this thread..
grimreaper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 03:48 AM UTC
Earlier this spring I read an article by Craig Whittaker "Mongo Mel" in which he had pics of a Hot Box that he built for speeding up the drying time of his oil painted figures. I made one too and also added a motorized turntable. This speeds up the drying time on small vignettes using water effects to only a couple of hours in the box. Very handy for tight deadlines although out of the question for large dios.
FWIW
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 03:54 AM UTC
Realistic Water...ahhhh..i remember the nitemare of using that stuff. I used it in my Remember Korea dio a while back. It was my first attempt at water..and then the added stress of seeing how that crap stayed a milky white color, when it says "dries clear in 24hrs."..

I wouldnt recommend this product for standard water application where a clear or trasparent water is needed..

On another note...the milky color did finally dry away to clear after about three weeks..
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 04:50 AM UTC
I would usually pour much thinner layers than the instructions said, and would put the dio on the furnace to dry over nite. Usually the next day it was clear.
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 04:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the many replies Seams I am not the only one here with that problem.

The manual says dries in 24 hours and layers of 3 mm but does not really work that way. So I best wait a few days and put the dio on a heater or something to let it dry better???

Hope this works because it is driving me nuts. Ii used the melting stuff that was just a lot of [auto-censored] and did not work at all. And now this......
But it must work fine if I see al the nice water dio's

Greetz Roel
JIVS
Visit this Community
Palencia, Spain / España
KitMaker: 118 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 08:36 PM UTC
I used Ez water in pellets in my figure of Huron and it´s quite difficult to work with it , beacuse it turn a " glass" to faster to model tthe water. I think it´s suitable for small water streams, fountains or something similar. Be carefull because it´s boling in few minutes.
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 04:55 AM UTC
I use Woodland scenic water products and love them - it's possible you got a bad bottle-
RoelGeutjens
Visit this Community
Belgium
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 05:25 AM UTC
Hey John

Maybe that is possible but I found something new thanks to the modelers here. Clear casting resin.
The search was long. I bought the melting pellets from woodland 17,75 euro did not work. Then bought realistic water from woodland 29,95 euro did also not work.
Finally clear resin 16,55 euro and worked perfect.

Greetings Roel
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 05:56 AM UTC
Water... again!?

Water Effects - Fantastic for making special effects like ripples, and waves...not good for deep water itself. Better to use as a surface modifier.

Pellet Water - an absolute waste... stuff is like wax, and is NEVER clear... always has a yellowish tint.... it is good for ... uh, er... well -nothing!

EZ Pour Resin - the ultimate for pouring crystal clear water at depth... simple A+ B mixture, cures in about 4 hours. This is the finest stuff on the market - and I have tried them all. Top it off with Water Effects (above) to get perfect streams of active water, ripples, etc.
Matt890
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 - 07:57 AM UTC
Another thing for water is using aluminum foil to create a sumwhat flat base. First u crumple up the aluminum foil and un crumple it, but be careful u want to keep the folds in it, then holding it a different angles use spray paint to create the base colors, normaly blue, greens, and whites (for white caps), then once dry apply a thick layer of white gule, or anything else like it. Once that is dry the apply a coat or 2 of Future floor polish, or what ever else u use like that, and let dry. if u need waves a acrylic gel, and now ur done. Just a thought
SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 12:20 AM UTC
I am using the realistic water now in a dioi that i am doing and have had no problems with it. i pour in very thin layers while adding leaves or what ever into it to give it depth. but i have had no problems with cloudy or dull. how thick did you pur it?
tsx387
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 03:16 AM UTC
Where can I find EZ pour resin? A google search did not help.
c_benshoof
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 03:44 AM UTC
Wow this was an old thread!

EZ pour resin can be found at craft and art stores such as michaels.

here is a web link for info on it.

http://www.creative-wholesale.com/Envirotex%20Lite.htm
HM2Somers
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 51 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2009 - 12:42 PM UTC
Has anyone tried "Magic Water"?
link http://www.unrealdetails.com/index.php/uses/examples/46-waterfall
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 01, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
You might give a product called enviro-tex a try. Two part (A/B) mixtue. Pour in small layers and tint as you build up. Builds up heat but with thin layers poured it won't melt models. You can have something dissapere into the merky depths this way or keep it clear. Used to come in pints/quarts and wasn't too expensive.
militarymodelmaker
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 16,777,215 posts
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 - 04:10 PM UTC
You pured to much, im guessing
 _GOTOTOP