_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tank Turret Bunkers
RedHornet
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 04:15 AM UTC
I'm just wondering if anybody can tell me where to find decent photos of the tank turret bunkers (or dug in tanks) that were/are used to guard the Sino-Russian border? I've been trying to find things on the internet but have had no success.

thanks

Scott
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm just wondering if anybody can tell me where to find decent photos of the tank turret bunkers (or dug in tanks) that were/are used to guard the Sino-Russian border? I've been trying to find things on the internet but have had no success.

Funnily enough, i've been wondering PRECISELY the same thing. Don't tell me we've both been reading the same Tom Clancy novel - The Bear and the Dragon?
I would really like to hear anything you pick up...Jim
allycat
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 942 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 05:32 AM UTC
Strange, I've just started reading the same book again.
Tom
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 06:00 AM UTC
I have a book on the T-64 at home that looks like it was taken at a Museum in Russia. Why that pertains to Tank pillbox turrets your asking about is that their is a large box like thing behind the vechicle with a JS-3 Turret on it! I dont have a scanner, so I'll provide the title of the book its in.

Heres what I was talking about...not quite the same photo

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 08:46 PM UTC
Scott, that's definitely the kind of thing that is being mentioned. Clancy made several references to (antiquated) tank turrets being used as part of the defences on the Sino-Russian border, including some talk of WW2 turrets being part of the defensive line (WW2 in this case, referring to both Sov. and German).. Now normally, i would dismiss this as the usual 'artistic license' of a fiction writer. However, Clancy does have a very good record in doing his background research for his novels, so I paid a little more attenton to this than I normally do. One fact IS clear, the Russians have never thrown anything away and they have warehouses full of obsolete equipment and ammunition. It doesn't take an enormous jump of logic to apply the same cocept to a fixed defensive line...Jim
october
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 02:52 AM UTC
The closest I can find is a description of an artists impression in the Osprey book on the IS-2. Which states;
"IS-3,Costal Defence Unit,Kurile Islands,1992.
Many IS-3 and T-10 tanks remain in service in the Russian far East in static defense positions.Some of these tanks are still in running condition,but many are completely dug in. This particular example was driven into an entrenchment overlooking the beaches facing Japan to act as a coastal defence pill-box.The tank was finished in a medium green colour, lighter than usual due to the fading effects of the sun, with a larger rolling pattern of medium brown sprayed over it.There were no unit markings since they would be inappropriate for this role."
I would also add that the tank lacks its anti aircraft machine gun and fuel tanks, although the supports are still in place, also the rear fenders are removed.
The main gun is at a steep angle and weathering is fairly extensive,complete with sea gull droppings! the entrenchment is as deep as the top track run and over grown with grass.
Not exactly what you were looking for but may be some help when considering the steppe of the Russian-Sino boarder.
October
okievit
Visit this Community
Cadiz, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 225 posts
Armorama: 206 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Heres what I was talking about...not quite the same photo

Scott,

Judging by the muzzle brake, that's a T-10 turret rather than an IS-3 turret.

Still, very cool

Olaf
 _GOTOTOP