_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Dulcote
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 12:46 AM UTC
Hey I was wondering if any of you could tell me hoe to do a dulote finish thanks.
Branden
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 04:57 AM UTC
Two ways.
One brush it on, but be careful, too much and it can dissolve decals.
Two, spray it on. The best way to do this is with an airbrush, however, Dulcote from a can works too, just be careful not to get too close or it will run.
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 05:16 AM UTC
Do you do this over the entire tank after you have added pastels.?
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 08:45 AM UTC
I use Model Master Dullcote in a can. I think that the spray is strong enough to mess up your pastels. You know, blow them around. So I add pastels as the very last thing. If you were to use an airbursh you might be able to control the pressure enough to not disturb the pastels, but I've never tried.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 08:47 AM UTC
With an airbrush, the spray doesn't mess up the pastels, but I find it can change the appearance. Generally, for dark pastels, like blackened muzzles and exhausts, I will overpray with dullcote, but for lighter colours, like dust, I will save for after.

Nic
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 08:51 AM UTC
Nic,
Interesting. What brand of dullcoat do you use and does it need to be thinned? Also, what pressure setting do you use?
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 09:29 AM UTC
Thanks alot Guys This will help me out alot (:-)
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 10:14 AM UTC
When using dulcote of any brand......to be on the safe side....ALWAYS test it out 1st on a piece of scrap....I use a glossy picture from an old magazine.
How many times on here have we seen people asking why their latest masterpiece went white after applying the dulcote? Then to be very disappointed when everyone tells them they will have to strip the whole thing and start over again. It's really simple to test it 1st....then if it goes white you haven't ruined the paint job you've worked on for so many hours!!!
Ronald_Kok
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 484 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

When using dulcote of any brand......to be on the safe side....ALWAYS test it out 1st on a piece of scrap....I use a glossy picture from an old magazine.
How many times on here have we seen people asking why their latest masterpiece went white after applying the dulcote? Then to be very disappointed when everyone tells them they will have to strip the whole thing and start over again. It's really simple to test it 1st....then if it goes white you haven't ruined the paint job you've worked on for so many hours!!!

Youre right Grant I have done this with out testing and payd the price for that, 3 mont`s of work ruined

Ronald Kok
The recovery Site
http://home.wanadoo.nl/ronkok

lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 11:23 AM UTC
Ouch Thanks For the warning doman Ill be careful to test now lol

Branden
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nic,
Interesting. What brand of dullcoat do you use and does it need to be thinned? Also, what pressure setting do you use?

Charles--I use Testors Flat Clear Lacquer, thinned the same amount as regular paint with lacquer thinner. I keep the AB settings as usual, but the main thing is to keep the AB a ways away and just mist it on in several coats.

Nic
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 12:44 PM UTC
OK. Thanks Nic.
LIFER
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 29 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 02:16 PM UTC
Beware when using Testors Dullcote from the spray can. I have found when applied over acrylics such as Tamiya's it wil soften ( for a better term ) the paint and if touched will smear or lift off. Go lightly on the application, just misting until desired result is achieved. Anyone else notice this?
AIRB842586
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 03:48 PM UTC
I typically use Testors Dullcote, whenever I'm covering lighter pastels the spray always make them splotchy and sometimes disappear. It seems to do that for most colors except the very darkest. Is that from the dullcote, or the actual spray pressure, both? Operator error wouldn't surprise me either.

Matt
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 05:22 PM UTC
If you are using a spray can I would bet it's the pressure. It's happened to me. I think the pressure from the can is too strong. I plan to try using an airbrush next time.
 _GOTOTOP