_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
USMC Abrams in Desert storm?
wolfik
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 07:58 AM UTC
hi all
has anyone pictures of an abrams used during this campaign?
I have only one picture shows an M1A1 witha dozer blade and words US MARINES on the barrel...

thanks in advance for any help!
regards an all
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 08:21 AM UTC
USMC did not have any of their own M1A1s in Operation Desert Storm (ODS). They drew one Battalions worth (58 tanks) of Army M1A1s from PrePo stocks and had another Army Bn from 3ID attached to them for support as well. The M1A1s they drew were straight Army tanks and had no special USMC items on them, other tahn some USMC stenciling for ID.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2005 - 08:22 AM UTC
You can either try here

http://www.militaryphotos.net/

or select pictures and type in 'abrams in desert storm'

www.alltheweb.com

Should get quite alot of results.
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 04:06 AM UTC
Howdy all. There were no pre-position stocks in the SWA theater in 1990. The M1A1 commons with the heavy armor that the USMC 2nd and 4th tank battalions recieved were originally supposed to go to the 3rd ACR who had floated their own junk over from El Paso(Ft Bliss). The USMC tanks came from pre-positon stocks in Europe. In return the XVIII Airborne Corps recieved some LAVs. It was a dope deal for sure. I think that the 82nd soldiers recieved them, I am not certain. And I recall that the US Armys "Tiger" Brigade(Ft Hoodlum, TX) came to us from the 2nd AD. The triangle patch on the left chest pocket guys. There were also not any dozer blades for the M-1 series tank at that time. It may have been a mine plow in the picture. In Concord publications book #7502 "M1A1/A2 Abrams" by Walter Bohm there are some pictures of the M1A1s that the USMC used in DS/DS after they have been returned to the US Army in Germany. Out here.
wolfik
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:23 PM UTC
many thanks all for the response and helpfull answers!
thanks for the time and interest

regards!
 _GOTOTOP