_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tracks for a M4A1 Sherman
Sherman_67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 203 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 12:53 PM UTC
How can I weather rubber tracks on a M4A1 Sherman
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 01:57 PM UTC
I would start by rusting up the end connectors. After that you can dry brush with any dirt and dust colors you want over everything.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 08:08 PM UTC
Hey Matt
Make sure that the initial rubber colour you applied was not flat black, but more a grey/black. You could show some consistent wear on each block. or a chunk or tear here and there...
Brad
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 01:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would start by rusting up the end connectors. After that you can dry brush with any dirt and dust colors you want over everything.

Paint the end connectors a flat silver/aluminum colour. Tracks in service have virtually _no_ rust on them. The grit in the soil quickly burnishes all of the surfaces to a relatively bright sheen. The only place where there might be some dark rust is in the outside hollow of the guide tooth. Everything else will be silver.

Now, if you are having the vehicle running in soil, everything below the fenders will generally be coated in either dust or mud, so the colour of the tracks, wheels and suspension is pretty much moot. Dirt brown it will all be. Take a look at most of Steve Zaloga's articles. He almost never actually paints his tracks or running gear any other colour than Tamiya Buff or Deck Tan, no matter what the underlying colour should be.

Still if it is a road move or a city scene, then dark grey rubber and flat silver metal parts packed with lose dirt will do the trick..

Paul
 _GOTOTOP