French Shop Roof?
Mindfold
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi all!
I picked up modeling again after a few years, and it's so great to read all the friendly responses here, and how you all help each other out! cool!

well, I am currently planning a diorama, that contains the Verlinden French Shop WWII
http://www.verlinden-productions.com/vp_htm_0601_1200/0949.html

I am kinda struggling with the roof...
I looked at the great building pictures on this site, and in some books, but I can't find out how a roof should fit on this building.
was it flat on the building, or a certain degree on the building?
Did it start after the upper ledge, or on the ledge...

if anyone has some tips...thanks!
Greetz, Yuri
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:47 PM UTC
I have been working on a French (Carentan) Dio myself, my research has shown me that the angel of the roof will depend on how deep the building is. There is no real set pitch, meaning no standard if that is what you mean. Many of the villages were built up as a hodge podge of row houses. Not all the same shape or size so as long as the roof isn't too flat you should be good. I would base the pitch of the roof off of how deep the building would have been, find your center. The slope of the roof would have faced towards the street or the front of the building. The destoyed part of the wall would have been the supporting wall for the roof angel. That wall would have most likely also had a chimney going up, something to keep in mind if you plan on modeling the interior of the building. If you have difficutly invisioning what I am trying to say, PM me with your e-mail address and will try to send you a PDF drawing of what I mean.

Paul
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:08 AM UTC
First of all, here is the ref mentioned above so everyone can give his/her opinion:

Do you intend to let it partially destroyed or do you want to build it "brand new" ?
In any case, you'll need to set the horizontal main support beams. (The horizontal ones to which the ceiling is attached). They should be fixed in the walls above the windows.
Then you'll settle the roof beams proper taking into account that the angle varies according the average rain quantity in the area you want to depict.

HTH but I'm sure others inputs will clear what I meant.

olivier
Mindfold
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 12:57 AM UTC
Hi, thanks a lot for the replies!
well, I want to have the roof partially destroyed.
I will keep it in tact on the left side of the building.
I want to do the interiour for the ground floor, and the probably the first floor as well. It mainly has to look good when you look at the building from the front...
I am planning away now!
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 03:31 PM UTC
I built the same model and it is shown in my Feature Article "Orders - France '44).... but in a nutshell, I used a damaged slate roof set at 45-degrees.... here is a picture...

Mindfold
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 08:17 PM UTC
WOW! that looks amazing! *gonna read that article NOW!*

thanks for sharing!
yuri
 _GOTOTOP