_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panzer 3 track width question
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 08:22 AM UTC
I have the Dragon kit of the SiG 33 auf Panzer3 and I have a question regarding the tracks The kit tracks are the early 40 cm type and I was wondering if they are the correct type according to the directions ,it was produced starting October 1942 If the kit tracks are wrong what's a good replacement track? FruilModel? The reason I know they are the early 40cm tracks is because I have the Squadron Signal Panzer4 in action
Chad #:-)
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 09:34 AM UTC
This is just a guess, but maybe it had the early tracks because the Germans used the chassis of the obsolete PzIIIs to make these self-propelled guns.

Nic
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:45 AM UTC
Do the kit tracks have hollow or solid guide horns? If they have solid guide horns they are incorrect regardless. I am pretty sure that Folgore's comment about using old chassis is correct. The early 40cm is probably correct as long as it has hollow guide horns. They didn't start using solid guide horns until late in the war.

If you are going to replace them I would suggest going with the Friulmodel tracks. They are easy to work with and look great when you are done.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies gents The DML tracks do have solid guide horns NO I'm not gonna hollow them out That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much work Guess I'll use the Fruilmodel tracks
Chad
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the replies gents The DML tracks do have solid guide horns NO I'm not gonna hollow them out That's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much work Guess I'll use the Fruilmodel tracks

I agree with you there 100%. There is no way on earth that I would sit there and hollow all of those links out (not even if Friulmodel and Modelkasten didn't exist). I have some references at home on the SiG 33 auf Panzer III at home. If you would like me to scan some of the pictures just send me an email at [email protected].
 _GOTOTOP