_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
flat coats
landon
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:02 AM UTC
what can i use for a flat coat over future? i tried one and it was testors lacquer flat on a small peice but i was scared that the lacquer would eat the paint and make a big mess. i have looked all over town and that is all i can find to use is there anything else and where can i get it?
Thank you Landon
Moezilla
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,161 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:07 AM UTC
I use Testors Dull Cote, works like a champ for me.
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use Testors Dull Cote, works like a champ for me.

I second that. One of the best Testors product.

WC
oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 09:28 AM UTC
I use Testors Acrylic Dull coat. I've had the lacquer start to turn white on my models if it gets a little old. Never have that problem with the acrylic. That and I can use all the washes, filters etc and not have to worry about disolving the underlying paint!

Jesse
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 01:20 PM UTC
I like testor's dull coat also. here lately I have been using gunze sangyo Mr Flat comes out great only problem is price.....
landon
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 01:41 PM UTC
do you guys know where i can order it from i cant get it around here?
thanks landon
landon
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 02:30 PM UTC
i wanted to know the flat coat that your talking about is that in a spray can or a small bottle that you can use in a airbrush because i have the one that can be use in the airbrush. just wanted to know.
landon
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 10:22 PM UTC
Small spray can you and find in most reputable hobbyshops. Check you local area hobbyshop. I'm 90% sure they will have it. If they don't, it's not reputable. :-)

WC
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:27 AM UTC
I've been using Testor Dull Cote Laquer for at least 20 years with no problems, short or long term. Cans can be tricky since you have ot be sure the solution is fully mixed and you can't use it if it's too cool in your paint area. Further, cans tend to have too much pressure, apply too heavy a coat and produce too much vapor.With the airbrush,, you ocan concemntrate the spray much closer to the model and reduce the vapor problems.
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Small spray can you and find in most reputable hobbyshops. Check you local area hobbyshop. I'm 90% sure they will have it. If they don't, it's not reputable. :-)

WC

I can hear the sound of a thousand hobby shop owners ordering a stock of this thanks to you :-)
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 01:28 AM UTC
If you prefer acrylics, I recommend Polly Scale flat coat or Andrea's flat coat. Both are great. Consistent, deliver very flat appearances, and are very easy to work with. I've never experienced any whitening or other discoloration over time with either of them. I find them to be as effective as any lacquer-based flat coat without the cleaning hassle and caustic fumes. Also, both can be applied with an airbrush or directly with a brush, the latter being especially useful for small applications.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what can i use for a flat coat over future?

I like a 60-40 mix of Floquil Flat plus FLoquil Dust, both really well mixed before blending. I've never had a problem and they dry absolutely dead flat. I vary the amount of the Dust in the mix; more if it is a really dusty locale that the model is supposed to represent, less if it is supposed to be damper or more temperate.

Quoted Text

i was scared that the lacquer would eat the paint and make a big mess.

Using an airbrush you should not be applying enough laquer in the paint that there is any risk of damaging the underlying colour, no matter what it is. You need to lay down a layer thick enough to stay liquid for an appreciable time to really damage the underlying finish and for laquers, that's a LOT of paint.

HTH

Paul
landon
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 08:26 AM UTC
thanks everyone for all your help.
Landon
 _GOTOTOP