_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Another Armor MOM kit
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 07:58 AM UTC
Well this new model of the month sounds like fun ..here are some pictures of my Cromwell that I have been working on for the last couple of weeks...Now before anyone says it ...I know it is shinny ..It's still on the gloss coat...The kit has only been painted and decaled so far I still have all the washes and weathering to do..Just thought I'd show you what my kits look like after painting...The star was painted using a mask and I wanted to show a bit of overspray as would have been seen on the real tanks...the rest of the decals are from Bison and are a dream to work with. Sorry for the bad lighting ,it's raining here today. Let me know what you think...

Rick
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 08:09 AM UTC
Shinny?
Quoted Text

Shinning
A play on the mispronunciation of the word "Shining" as a reference to the sixth sense, as in the Stephen King novel and film The Shining. It appears in episode "Treehouse of Horror V."

Groundskeeper Willie: Boy, you read my thoughts! You've got the Shinning.
Bart: You mean Shining.
Groundskeeper Willie: Shhh. Do ya' want to get sued?

Sorry, I had to. :-) Looks good so far though! I like the star
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
Thats a nice looking Cromwell so far. I know you have got the washes and stuff to do but i do like the museum look from time to time where its shiny and all.
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 09:48 AM UTC
I think that it's looking good.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys ...Nahhhh I couldn't leave it as a museum piece...I like dirt! I still have to touch up the star a bit ..(I can still see the points from the star I removed from the decal) I did add a few PE parts from the Eduard set ..not a heck of a lot of it but ..

Rick
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:06 PM UTC
Hello Richard! Looking very smart indeed. You are about to start my favorite part! Keep them pics coming!
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 01:18 PM UTC
Very nice indeed, love the star in top of the turret. Very strong contestants until now........
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 05:55 PM UTC
Hi Richard. Everything looks good. Extremely impressed with the decals and the masked star. Are those the kit tracks? Nice clean build and you´ve given nice depth with your spraying. Good luck with the weathering. Any figures planned??
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hi Frank ...Yes those are the kit tracks glued down to the wheels ...I really can't see spending that much on aftermarket tracks when the kit tracks look this good... They were first painted Nato black then cover in MMP's ETO dust ...I then sealed them with some lighter fluid and did the tops of the tracks with hubrols polished steel which I buffed a bit with a tissue..
Figures??? Me gosh no....I couldn't do a figure if my life depended on it..I do have a friend working on three Alpine figures for my DAK Tiger that is coming in the mail. What can I say ...I'm chicken.

Rick
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Extremely impressed with the decals and the masked star.

Agreed!!!

Pre shading looks good also Rick. Congrats on this build so far. Looking forward to seeing it in the gallery.

Steve
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 06:49 AM UTC
Thanks Steve .. hey by the way did the pictures I showed you help with the Sherman questions?

Rick
MonkeyGun
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 943 posts
Armorama: 825 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:21 AM UTC
Dammit Bear the star looks great :-) , I pulled out what little hair have left trying to get the decal to settle on the top of the turret , i ended up using the outer ring and hand painting the star which looked terrible
(theres some pics in my gallery )
I cheated a little and covered over my pathetic attempt with a map the tc is looking at lol

btw did you preshade before adding the base colour ? it looks great

ian
WhistlerOne
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:03 AM UTC
Rick,

I like it so far. Cant wait to see it at its next stage.
Steve
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi Ian ...I can't say enough good things about the Eduard Masks ...of course it didn't settle down over all the bumps but by spraying it with very little air pressure directly from above I got the effect I was looking for... As for the painting ,Well I sprayed everything Nato Black first and then mixed up my color using Tamiya's Olive Drab ,Khaki drab and Olive green..and sprayed this color three time lightening it each time with Tamiya's dark yellow... I might have to go back and lighten the color one more time as I find the Future has darkened it a bit...ehhhh we'll see .

Rick
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 09:28 AM UTC
Rick it looks great. From the preshading to the tracks to the star its all coming together fine. I have always liked your builds an dI look forward to seeing this thing weathered. Will you be making a base for it? and How soon till you start the Tiger? Cheers Kevin
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 05:45 AM UTC
Hi Kevin ..I should have this one finish sometime next week ..just in time to start a DAK Tiger..If it gets here. If not well I got lots of others waiting to be built.

Rick
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...I then sealed them with some lighter fluid

Rick

Lighter fluid???

This is a new one, can you explain further please?
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 08:50 AM UTC
Rick -

Outstanding job and like how the pre-shading has brought out the overall scheme. You've really brought out the "toughness" look of the Cromwell and the "dirty" detailing will give it that special veteran look. Maybe a "ding" here or there and a couple of hits to the plating to add the combat touch? Keep us posted on this beauty.

Blade48mrd
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 08:50 AM UTC
I use lighter fluid as a thinner for oil paints and it does a good job with pigments as well..You can either mix the pigments with the lighter fluid and apply like a wash or like I did I added the pigments dry and just moisened them with a brush dipped in the lighter fluid as I did here... The lighter fluid also has another cool side effect ..it gets rid of the glossy shine of oil paints .

Rick
p.s. Thanks for the comments Mike. Always appreciated.
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 10:39 AM UTC
Looks great so far Richard

Can't wait to see it once you have weathered it

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 06:57 AM UTC
Well it is now weathered and only have a few things left to finish on this one I'll take my final pictures in a couple of weeks to add to the MOM board..Any comments are welcome..

Rick
 _GOTOTOP