Hosted by Darren Baker
Pz IV J
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC
Just received my 48th scale Pz IV J from Tamiya. Three options are given, tank 723 and tank 806 from unknown units in Normandy, and tank number 1032, again, unknown unit,... can any of these be built up without zimmerit?

Frank

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 09:01 AM UTC
Hi Frank ..I think you are pretty much stuck to do zimmerit on these early J's ..The production was right in the zimmerit time period.

Rick
Larry_dunn
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 03:07 AM UTC
I'd think though that you could easily model a "J" without zimmerit, probably even using those numbers for another unit. How generic are the numbers?

At the end of the war, German vehicles often carried few if any marking on them anyway.
Tommy_Guns
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 07:35 AM UTC
I am going to jump on this wagon as I am aiming at begining the same kit soon... if you do apply zimerit to this tank? Where would it be applied (and to explain the question-I searched and read through a number of posts in the Armour Forum but found some contradictory information-through granted... there were sooo many different applications etc you can't make a RULE for them all)... so I guess to make it simpler... being the tanks were to be equipped with Shurzen... would zimmeritt be applied only to the front and rear hull plates? Or would it be applied all over? Also, would the turret recieve any coating at all (one of the sites I read over about zimm application order was that it was NOT to be added to the turret-but was anyway on some tanks... with the additional bolt on armour-would it have been done)??

Sorry... plenty of questions and I cannot find a single pic on the net that would say Pz.Kampf.IV Ausf.J that would say-Yup... that one is in Normandy... grrrrrrrr internet.

P.S. as to the decals.. you could get a bit creative, most are just numbers so a bit of exacto surgery could create a few more combinations (six per each decal number series, three variants each with 3 digit serial number in either black, white or red with white outline).
No specific unit markings provided-each decal option is for "unknown unit."
SKurj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, January 02, 2006 - 08:51 AM UTC
Yup to Zimmerit..

Front hull surfaces, mudflaps, rear hull, front of turret at least. I have seen zimmerit on the hull shurzen as well.
Larry_dunn
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 12, 2006 - 01:51 AM UTC
Ok, next question. How do you turn this kit into a late J? :-)
 _GOTOTOP