_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Exhaust Systems
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 04:19 PM UTC
Hi all,
I am just after some tech tips for painting a realistic 1/35 exhaust system. Your tips for better results will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Lee

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 04:56 PM UTC
Depends on how rusty you want it. For a lighty burned rusty effect, lightly drybrush with a rust color, then a brown, and finally a little black. For a heavily rusted exhaust, paint it overall rust color. While still wet, cover with flour. Let it dry for a while, till the flour is hard and stays on the piece. Gently tap or brush off any loose flour. Repaint with the rust color. Next follow the same drybrush steps as above, but go heavier on the brown and black, and do a final drybrush of the original rust color or slightly lighter. You can modify the above to get anywhere in between as well.

Good luck.
Torchy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,016 posts
Armorama: 1,187 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,
I am just after some tech tips for painting a realistic 1/35 exhaust system. Your tips for better results will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Lee

What Tank is it for?? ie, full muffler or just end pipes
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:43 AM UTC
Try real rust..Take some steel wool and some water, toss into a jar and let sit untill the wool is completely rusted and the water has evaporated..Grind the resulting pwoder into a fine dust with a mortar and pestle.. base coat your exhaust a colour of your choice.. Maybe an earthy brown or a middle gray.. Take some of your rust powder and mix it with a bit of rubbing alcohol and brush it on. When its dry Do a black wash untill you get the colour you are looking for... Pretty much what I did on the back of this Tiger..

Hope that helps..

Dave
 _GOTOTOP