_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Eduard wheel masks Any good?
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 07:16 PM UTC
Has anyone here used the Eduard wheel masks? I am curious to know if they are worth it Can they be re-used? Or just used once? Here's a link to one
http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=EUFX002
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 07:51 PM UTC
Specially tailored for Stug IIIB?! I wonder if an old circle template will achieve a similar effect.
Ross
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 213 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Specially tailored for Stug IIIB?! I wonder if an old circle template will achieve a similar effect.

I have found that using a circle cutter on self adhesive labels produces masks which save so much effort. I'm sure Eduard masks are just as good, if not better. Apparently they can be re-used if care is taken. Circle templates are also well rated and there is at least one PE set available with many different size holes for all wheel sizes.

Ross
jcneel
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 11:14 PM UTC
I recently tried out a set of the Eduard wheel masks for a Sherman kit. I thought that they worked out pretty well. I didn't try to save them to try and reuse, but guess they could have been - the adhesive wasn't really all that sticky after I was done - with the dust and bits that stuck to them while using.

Turned out to be a little tricky to use (unless I did it wrong).

First I sprayed the outisde of the wheel black with no mask in place. Let it dry. Then placed a ring mask on the front side and sprayed the inner wheels on both sides OD (getting overspray on the black when the back side was sprayed). Let it dry, again. Then put a circle mask on the back side and then sprayed black again (with the front side face down against the table so not to get overspray on the OD part. And dries one more time.

Seemed a little tedious - but liked the results pretty well. Came out better than ones where I had painted the inner wheels by hand.

hth

cn
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 09:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies gents Not sure if I'll get them I think someone made a circle template out of plastic that had different sized holes on it I think it was designed for aircraft modelers originally I may have yo hunt that down
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:08 AM UTC
Vehicle crews were NEVER this particular about the wheel rims, camo or anything else.

Maybe if the wagon was taking part in a parade in front of the Queen or something... But "normally"... Nah, this exactness just wouldn't happen.

Spray it. Then run a paintbrush round the rim.
Donald99
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:54 PM UTC
Chad,

If you are going for the circle template approach, do shop around. The price does vary a lot. You can find them in art supply stores or stationery shops. Reputable brands such as Rotring, Staedtler, Hellerman made them. So do those less well-know manufacturers. The clear plastic also varies from flexible to brittle. Pay attention to the edge of the circle too, those with recess around the edge are specially designed for technical drawing and tend to be more expensive.

For modelling purposes such as spraying wheels, cheap, not very flexible and without the recess would suffice. Mine is a clear yellow plastic, brittle template made by Lion. It has recess on it only because I need that when I was doing engineering drawings years ago. Diameter varies between 1mm to 36mm.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2005 - 09:07 AM UTC
Donald
Thanks for the info
 _GOTOTOP