_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
bent resin barrel
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:48 AM UTC
I just bought a Tamiya T-34/85 with a MB models resin turret at a yard sale for $10 (5 to the kid that beat me to it, and 5 for the kit) anywhoo got it home and took a closer look at the turret and noticed that it had been setting on the barrel for who knows how long, leaving the barrel bent, i was wondering if there was a way to straighten this, i have tried clamping it with various things, so far that hasnt done the trick. this is my first venture into resin so im thinkin maybe there is a old sailors trick to resin, maybe not, any help would be appreciated.
thanks guys
Bender

" I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue" - Lloyd Bridges Airplane!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:55 AM UTC
Heating the barrel in boiling water and straightening it works if the bend isnt too severe. Just go slow or the barel could snap. Let it cool in the straightened condition and it should be as straight as new.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Armorama: 574 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
You'll probably need to get an after market barrel if the bend is severe.

Deacon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hello,

The heating method usually works to straighten the barrel. But I have had the stupid thing want to curve again later on. usually about the time I got ready to paint it! I think that replacing it with an metal barrel would be the better route. Save the wear and tear on your modeling efforts a little. It would definitely be straight!

JMHO
Deacon
Bender
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 03:41 PM UTC
ok thanks guys will try the boiling water, but for what i have into the kit a metal barrel wont hurt me
thanks again
Bender
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

ok thanks guys will try the boiling water, but for what i have into the kit a metal barrel wont hurt me
thanks again
Bender

I had a resin Firefly turret with a bent resin barrel. Tried the water trick but never got it "perfect." Eventualy I snapped it. Better off in the long run because I got a nice metal barrel to replace it.

I just don't think you will ever be able to get it straight to the point where you won't notice it everytime you look at the finished kit!

Steve
 _GOTOTOP