Flowers
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 853 posts
Armorama: 514 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 01:11 PM UTC
Hello dudes and dudettes,

I'm planning to make a small spring/summer dio for my Puma. I need to make 1/35th scale flowers from ordinary household materials. I cannot obtain them through aftermarket products because there are hardly any AM parts here in the Philippines.

Can someone provide me suggestions or links? Thank you.

Angela
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC
I bought some dried flowers at a craft store. I paint the heads different bright colors and the stems green

dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 01:51 PM UTC
maybe you could make the flowers, papel mache and glue......itīll be a long and tedious work, but the result itīs very good.
best regards
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 01:58 PM UTC
Here like in the Philippines, modelling supplies especially for dios are virtually non-existent. Your best bet as an alternative to paying a bomb for online stuff is a visit to the flower shop, both dried and fresh shops.

One possiblity is what they call 'baby showers'. The white variety of tiny flowers stalks that is added to flower bouquets. If you got them fresh just hang them upside down for a week or so in a airy but shaded place. Just cut them off the main stalk after drying. They normally retain their color but of course you could always paint them. To me they look like a bit like tulips. The dried flower shops should give you more options.

I've found the stuff they use to accompany the main flower be it dried or fresh the best given they give a fair approximation to 1/35.
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 04:17 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice Beachbum, Shermiesrule and dexter059.

One more thing, dudes and dudettes. On one side of the street is a portion of a farmland.

What kind of common grains are grown in France? Barley? Wheat? Then, would you know how to model them? Any pics?

This is a stupid question but.....are they higher than a man? I only saw rice and corn here in the Philippines. AAARRGGHH the demise of a lady who doesn't travel much...

Thank you for the help in advance

Angela
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 07:24 PM UTC
Angela,

In our gardens we keep plants we call "Vrouwenmantel" (= Womens Cloak), widely known as the Alchemilla vulgaris.

This plant has tiny flowers that are smaller than 1 milimeter that can depict real flowers in small scales.

each green flower is far less than 1 milimeter. Just dry them and you're on the move towards great scale flowers !

Just see if you can find them in the Fillipines...if not, then PM me your address, so I can send you a little bag of this stuff.

Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 07:33 PM UTC
France has mostly wheat. Wheat grows as high as a man's waist. In the picture below, the guy is on a bike...just to give you some reference.

WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 21, 2005 - 08:45 PM UTC
Angela,

1. Buy some baby's breath at you local flowershop.
2. Put it in the microwave to kill it.
3. Spray it with white glue/water (50%~50%) to seal it so it stays in shape at the same time keep the bugs off.
4, Use airbrush to paint the color you desire.
5. Cut them down to the desire size and plant them with a pinvise.

Here's a picture of baby's breath:

http://www.american-buddha.com/amapnew52.jpg

As for wheat or grass field:

1. Cut a cheap paint brush bristle from the handle
2. Dip the bristle in some fine grade sand with mixture of white glue/water
3. When the glue drys, spray them the a natural color like green, beige or tan
4. Highlight the "grain" with dry brush technique
5. Now you have some kind of wheat, barly, or rice.

Here's a example of a cheap brush. In US you can get 100 for 10 USD. This much brush bristle you should be able to have you own farm.

http://rinkworks.com/contests/im/prize3.jpg

I hope this helps,

WC
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 01:34 AM UTC
I would agree with what others have said about the flowers..The local flower shop should have dried flowers on hand that are perfect for putting into your dio. I would recommend the Babys breath as well..they are tiny and you can buy them in a variety of colors or you can simply airbrush them to the color you desire. Kevin and I both use them all the time with great results.
As far as the Wheat fields go..Kevin did a review on an excellent product that would work great to represent a Wheat field..

Busch Grain fields and reeds

Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 01:21 PM UTC
Another reason why Armorama is the best site in the world. Thank you so much for the info, photos and walk throughs.

I'll try to check the flower shops if they have those kinds of flowers.

Thank you so much guys and gals.

Angela
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 08:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought some dried flowers at a craft store. I paint the heads different bright colors and the stems green

Nice dio there Alan. Why did you leave the paint bottles in the dio though? Was it just to show Angela which one you used?
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,396 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 07:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice dio there Alan. Why did you leave the paint bottles in the dio though? Was it just to show Angela which one you used?

Yup... that's a nice dio I must say..

Hmm.. Jeremy, I think the paint bottles are there to support the figures, so they can lean on something while the photo is taken..
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 12:48 PM UTC
Darn.

I looked everywhere I can't find "baby's breath" or "women's cloak" here in the Philippines. I think they're not indigenous here....
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hi Angela,

You should be able to get it as where I am ain't too far from the Philippines. As far as I know we don't plant it here either. I'm still stuck in the office now, there should be a law against working on Saturdays which is a throwback to the dark ages of slavery. Sorry got carried away, I'll try to post you a pic of the stuff when I get back, several hours from now.
Angela
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 01:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Angela,

You should be able to get it as where I am ain't too far from the Philippines. As far as I know we don't plant it here either. I'm still stuck in the office now, there should be a law against working on Saturdays which is a throwback to the dark ages of slavery. Sorry got carried away, I'll try to post you a pic of the stuff when I get back, several hours from now.

Hi,

Yeah, please do put a pic on baby's breath or women's cloak. Maybe the florists here do not know what they are....or they know it by a different name.

Angela
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2005 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi Angela,

The one on the left is baby's breadth and the one on the right is a 'yet to be identified thingy' I found in a dried flower shop. The baby's breadth still retains a bit of its original white color after I dried it and the right one which was sold dried retained all its color.

If your'e still having trouble hunting it down drop me a PM.
 _GOTOTOP