_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
putting posts into features
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 04:40 PM UTC
I would love to see some of the posts put into article form and placed under the features section. As the message board grows (which is a good thing) I find it harder to track down some information. I am trying a lot of the ideas others have given me off the message boards on my first piece of armor. Instead of trying to get others to do extra work, I am going to photograph my progress and write up some articles to submit. I will give full credit to the person or people who posted the ideas, but would like to show the ideas in action and show that even a novice can do them.

Other than what I am going to try to do, I think it would be a good idea to take a lot of the questions that have been answered and put them in article form then place them in the features section. Already a few of the topics have been brought up more than once on the boards. I don't have a problem with that, but I think it would be nice to be able to throw up a link to an article on the site that goes into great detail as well as answer questions that come up a lot.

I am not sure how this could be pulled off, but would hate to see a lot of great information that poeple of my skill level could really use fall through the cracks.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 10:16 PM UTC
Andrew,
There have been several posts that I thought the same thing about. Rob's post on his experience with modern stowage on vehicles was one that come's to mind. I think I even mentioned putting it together with a few pictures to make an article. But....just haven't had the time.

To be honest this is really going to be the "do-or-die" for this site long term. My own real work has been picking up over the last month, so I am going to have even less time to devote to the site (sadly). So this is kind of a subdued call for help. "help"

I would really encourage everyone who wants to expound on their experience or document a technique to write it up in a short, medium, or long article, throw in a few pics, and send it to me as an article. Then when it's up simply post about it in the forum.

Sound good?

Thanks,
Jim
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC
Jim,
You can count me in for that.
:-)
Jan
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 05:46 AM UTC
I am going to get started on a few of them as I do finish work on my sherman. With my health problems I have time at home to do it. I picked up some film today to take the pictures for the articles.

I think the best way I can cotribute to the sight is not from a point of view "this is how you do it" but rather a "look what a novice can do, don't be to affraid to try it".

To be more specific on what I am going to try are the following.

1. drillng out lights and the putting tin foil in the back of it, painting it, and then filling it with elmers glue.

2. preping and paiting vinly tracks

3. detailing with oils. Using them for washing and dry brushing. I am going to use information from the posts on this site as well as some other sources. I am not sure how all this will turn out but if it is presentable I will post it.

4. posibly do something with future, not sure on that one yet.

I will need some help on putting the articles in a presentable format for the site. I will have to talk to Jim and see what we can work out. I would like to echo Jims call for help with the articles. Again I am going to write from a beginer stanpoint but there are a lot of people who can write from years of experience point of view and would love to see some of that.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 07:38 AM UTC
I think I'll give it a try too. I gave posting pictures to answer a question about 1/35 rope bundles for Paulo. It worked really good, but I agree it is hard to keep up with an ever-expanding forum. Good things can get lost - more than once.

Gee - what a problem to have!

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:11 AM UTC
The above are ALL excellent ideas. And they are only a small part of the great input that goes on here at Armorama.com on a daily basis. Let's not let THIS thread die.
Good luck all, I will have to think of a way to help myself so that I am not guilty of hippocracy.

Tread.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:44 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Great to hear.

I am working on an article for processing digital images using a photo editor. Got it 25% done so far.

Jim
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:50 AM UTC
Once I saw this post, I began collecting info for an article or post or whatever. I hope to do some article on the new Trimaran warships, in an effort to bring some more naval activity to the site. Hopefully when it's done, my two cents will be good enough to post on the site...

YodaMan
'Try not. Do. Or do not. There is not try.'
 _GOTOTOP