_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Contest: Sculpted Figure Update
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hola!

Here is a few pictures of my dio figure and its progress. The base of the figure is a dml africa corps figure thats squatting. I belive he's from dml's newest Africa Corps [AC] set. All detail was carved off exept for the trousers, he had the short style tropical boots, I cut of the legs at the apropriate length, carved it down and resulpted the regualar boots. The figure also sports the reverible winter parka which is almost finished. Buttons and pocket flaps are still needed to be added. The arms were found in the spares box and were cut at the elbow and carved down to the shape of a bare arm, then clothing sculpted on. I sculpted both arms on the figure then I cut the right arm off with a razor saw to be able to get to the side. The medium I use is Magic Sculpt and the tools are a #11 scalpel, sanded toothpick, a silicone cone, used to remove paint or something but great for sculpting, and a size 0 brush.

Enjoy, and leave me some comments!

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:27 PM UTC
Quite impressive sculpting Anders!!
This something that may lie down the line for me.... in about 5 years time.
I feel inadequate when I hear people explaining
"Just wallop here, bang there and hey presto". I wish it were as easy as you make it sound.
Is the painted head already glued on, or just placed for the picture? Id be afraid to destroy the painting.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:40 PM UTC
Hola Plasticbattle!

The head is a spare from the spares box, I belive its a Verlinden head. It was already painted (like 3 years ago) and I will clean it up before I paint it again. And yes, its superglued and puttied in place so where it is now is where it will stay!

As for sculpting, this is my first 1/35th figure. It really isnt hard, what you do is put a blob of putty where u need it, smooth it out using a toothpick or a silicone cone, and then with the toothpick or a scalpel you push the putty around and form the creases and wrinkles. When you are pleased with these use your brush, wet it so its semi wet, then smooth the putty out! For the fine lines, let the putty cure a bit, then using the scalpel blade cut the lines..
Will keep you updated on the progress
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:46 PM UTC
Thanks Anders
Please do keep us updated. I like these "tutorials" where I save this info and maybe someday put it together and try it myself!

PS. No need to be too modest! LOL
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 02:49 AM UTC
Very nice sculpting Anders. I can't tell if those are the thigh high boots or if they are the pants down to the boots.

Thanks for the post - it's posts like this that give me drive to strive to get to your level.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:08 AM UTC
Hola Slodder,
Thanks for your comments.
Yes, it is supposed to be the thigh high boots, the pant legs are tucked in, but are buldging over the top a tad. The pics are a little blurry Will post some more pics of him this afternoon, I added a belt, buttons and the pockets, also the right arm is re attatched.

Will keep you posted!!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:17 AM UTC
Cool - The boots look good then! Looking forward to more pictures.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hola,
Here is yet another update, have added buttons, belt and pockets, hard to see the pockets though : The belt looks a tad big to me, what you think?
Am currently working on the belt buckle and ammo pouch then it will be ready to go!

GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 08:28 AM UTC
Anders,
I like it ! I agree with your remakr, that belt may be a bit too loose. The body is modeled as if there is no belt, and then a belt is added. I think a belt should somehow pull the clothes a bit towards the body. I know : easier said than done ! Besides that remark : superb sculpting work !
The figure's posture looks a bit funny out of context. What is this soldier doing ? What is the meaning of the extended left hand ? It looks a bit like the hand of Buddha in some statues..
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 09:45 AM UTC
Hola General Jan!

You dont know how right you are when you say the figure is modeled not to have a belt. I started out making the folds etc for the belt preasure, then I carved them off deciding I would do that after the belt was made, that way it would look better. At first I was going to use copper sheet for the belt, then I decided to use putty instead as I want to make as much as possible out of the putty to learn what it can do and not do. Now Im debating if Im going to leave the belt off or if Im sculpting the rest of the creases instead.

As for the goofy pose, yes it is indeed!! If you look closely at the picture of the last set in the top right hand corner, its pretty close to the pose that he will squat in. His left knee is on the ground and his left arm is leaning on the water towers inside, he's leaning to see through the hole in the tank and looking at a dog that scared the $#@* out of him. In his right hand a sniper rifle! Will make sense when its doen, I promise!!!
JV44
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 03:07 AM UTC
I really like the work. I do hope more people can post some shots of sculpting. I am starting a bit too, and more shots I see, the more ideas I get.

Keep up the great work!
Andrew
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 03:39 AM UTC
Anders,
Nice work! I think you are really inspiring others to try this out someday.

When I first saw the figure I thought maybe his hand was up because he was being captured. But leaning against a surface makes more sense. It's funny though but sub-consciously something with the angle of the hand didn't feel right so I tried to get my arm into that position. I couldn't do it. Maybe it's one of those double-jointed things.

Jim
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 07:03 AM UTC
Hola!

Thanks for the comments fellas.

Jim,
I my self did this position also, and didnt have any problems. As matter of fact, I used my self as a reference as to the pose. I also had my doubts if it was possible when I positioned the mannequin arm, and took great care to position the bicep part, elbow and forearm so that it is physically possible. The photos might show slightly different angles then it really is. When I get some real photos you might be able to see it better
Again, thanks for the comments, and I will keep you posted
 _GOTOTOP