_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Flak36 88 Any Good
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 04:18 PM UTC
I Had built this one about 10 years ago, and Liked it then. But now I am a little picky about accuracy and things like that. Is the Tamiya Flak36 any good accurate sense, out of a 10, how much does it score? And is there any AM stuff for it?

I plan to build this one being towed by the Famo for the group build. Any suggestions will be welcome.
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 06:19 PM UTC
ss-74 does verlinden make a flack 38 cause if they do u might want to check it out.
I was thinkin about modeling the tamiya to.
Just my two cents
Branden
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 01:26 AM UTC
Dave,
The Tamiya 88 is of course the only game in town for the Flak gun that made allied tankers tremble.

Overall accuracy is actually not that bad. Some of the details are a bit heavy but overall the gun in nice.

In terms of AM, there's a ton of stuff for the gun -

Eduard Photoetch
Elefant, Jordi, and other Barrels
Tankworkshop Wheels for the limber
Tankworkshop, Verlinden, Armo all make Ammo, Crates etc

Later,
Tim
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 02:05 AM UTC
I have that kit in my pile ( i.e. Waiting to be built ) I anticipate work to begin on it some time in late December or early January. So it should be quiet a bit of work. BUT at the same time an interesting learning experience. So I will let you guys know when I do start on it. And keep you posted as things are progressing.

DAGGER-1
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 02:07 AM UTC
Dave, I have this one half done on my shelf, also. I have a lot of resources for this one. Let me know what you want, I have many good quality pictures.

Rob
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 04:44 AM UTC
Thank you guys for the information. It's final my Famo Group build will be Famo towing the 88....
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hi,

Some other topics here at ArmormA about these theme:

Some help with Tamiya's 88 Flak 36/37

FLAK 36 8.8cm

Flak 36/37 88mm Gun Conversion Question

Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC
Dave--In reality, 88mm guns were mostly towed by Sd.Kfz.7 8t half-tracks, not FAMOs. Certainly, a FAMO would have been very capable of pulling an 88, but it would have been a bit of a waste of resources (like 10 tonnes extra, I guess). Maybe FAMOs did pull them, I don't know, but if I got a FAMO, I would put it in its role as recovery vehicle. Oh yeah, there was at least one self-propelled 88mm AA gun built on the FAMO. You could always do that.........

Nic
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 06:59 PM UTC
Nic, you are right, I just bought that 88, and on the box art it shown a 8t towing it...well, maybe do an overkill here....
REMEARMR
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 443 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Friday, November 15, 2002 - 08:46 PM UTC
I bought this kit and was very pleased. Not only with the quality but the excellent value for money. For your money you get the eight men, the gun, two boogies and the bike plus shells and boxes. MIne at the moment is half painted and I'm waiting for an idea for a dio to emerge from the vast void in my head.
You sounded quite keen to have the famo towing this. My solution to this would be simple,
have the famo towing the 8t half track with the gun still attached to it. This would make an interesting piece (if not long). You could have lots of figures (the crew of the gun and famo).
The first dio that comes to mind is having it to try and negotiate a tight corner with all the crew trying to give directions.
Cheers
Robbo
 _GOTOTOP