_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Looking for Techniques
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 04:56 PM UTC
I had a visitor ask about a number of techniques for painting and weathering AFV items that do seem to go un-remarked in many existing articles and write-ups. If anyone knows where there are some good techniqe articles for these please sound off or, better yet, most of these would make great article additions to this site should someone want to take up the challenge!

Jim

Here is the text of his message:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read many articles on how to build and paint 1/35 AFVs. I have found some articles on how to paint 1/35 figures. I have found very few articles on how to paint the extras on an AFV that make the difference between a good model and a great one. Are there any books, articles, etc that are available that describe the techniques to paint and weather the following.
Pioneer tools - axes, shovels, crowbars, etc.
Jacks and Tow cables
Machine guns, pistols, ammunition boxes, etc
Tarps and other cloth covers
Personnel baggage - Back packs, Tents, Duffle bags, Canteens, knives, bread bags, etc

I guess this breaks down into four categories
1. Wood
2. Metal - other than the AFV itself
3. Cloth
4. Leather

Is there any help out there?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 06:17 PM UTC
Thats an excellent question
Branden
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 06:29 PM UTC
Well, of course, there is Ian Sadlers shovel article here on armorama.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/111

Rob
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 03:36 PM UTC
I can help on a couple of those items.
For wooden tool handles, I paint them with dark yellow (dunkelgelb) acrylic. After curing, I make a strong wash of artists oils in a reddish brown color. The exact color changes from one batch from another...I just mix something until I think it looks good. I streak the wash over the dark yellow, purposely smearing it so the brush leaves streaks....this makes some really nice woodgrain effects.
On the metal toolheads themselves, I paint them black and drybrush with gunmetal, steel, and silver depending on the look I want.
If I want rusted metal, for exhaust pipes, mufflers, tow cables, etc.., and I almost hate to advertise my method even though I'm sure it's nothing new......I make a paste with pastel chalks using black, brown, and rust colors mixed with rubbing alchohol. Then I "paint" the mixture sloppily...purposely leaving it blotchy to keep from having too uniform of a finish. When it dries it looks just like rusty, cruddy metal.
 _GOTOTOP