_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
OIF Humvee Chassis colour?
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 03:50 AM UTC
Hi
Ok firstly this is my first post on armorama, so hi everyone-its great to join the team.

What would be the colour of the chassis on an OIF humvee? Ive seen some models that look grey and other that appear green like the rest of the vehicle. So what is the actual colour?

Cheers
Rob
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 04:03 AM UTC
From the factory, they are flat black. If a vehicle is repainted, they usually get repainted along with it. That is why some have sand chasis and undercarraiges as well. So either sand or black is correct.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 04:23 AM UTC
Gino, ever seen any that were both? If they were oversprayed quickly, perhaps they didnt get all the frame and the rails were kind of blotchy ? Or was the time taken to repeaint completely?

Dave
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino, ever seen any that were both? If they were oversprayed quickly, perhaps they didnt get all the frame and the rails were kind of blotchy ? Or was the time taken to repeaint completely?

Dave

I have seen some with sand overspray on a black chasis. Most will be totally oversprayed sand, or black will be sprayed back over the overspray. Either way is possible.
SSG_Q
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 02:57 PM UTC
Gino is 100% on the ball. You can even get creative and have "new" parts from repair work thrown in as a contrast.
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 03:44 PM UTC
Frames on the Hummer can be a bunch of colors, although usually green, tan, or black.

They come standard black. As the vehicle gets repainted, as Gino said, the spray tends to hit the frame as well, be the color green or tan.

Depending on the quality of the repaint, will determine the quality of spray job on the undercarriage. In the 1CD paint booth, you would get anything from the high-quality full coverage, to only the the spots the guy standing up could hit.

Korea, the trucks we received back from the paint booth were usually quite good jobs, mostly because it was contracted.

If the vehicle wasn't effectively cleaned before repaint, what you would potentially see is the over sprayed paint flaking off over time and use.

On a lovely note, our BN XO's truck was repainted, and had started life as a green truck. After a few months of abuse, you could see the original black, overpainted with green, resprayed black, painted tan, and painted black again by the driver to make it "look pretty". Paint had chipped off at various points, and in odd manners.

So you have a bunch of choices. Some of the vehicles we had in Iraq had started life from a variety of places. I had one truck that had an arctic heater. Go figure.

Jed Sargent
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 04:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I had one truck that had an arctic heater. Go figure.

Yup, my Bn (1-39 FA (MLRS), 3ID) drew 6 M998s with arctic kits; insulated top, sealed windows on the doors, arctic heater, etc, in Kuwait before we invaded. My BTRY XO got one. He hated it, roasted his a$% off. It was painted overall dark green . We had all sors ofa mix in the BTRY as well, some camo, some sand, some camo with sand parts, etc.
abbiesz71
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 04:55 PM UTC
Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your point of view) when it comes to OIF Humvees, the only limit to color combinations, mixed camo's and mixed parts is your imagination. You name it, it's around here somewhere and probably the CDR's vehicle. :-)
sarge18
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2005 - 01:06 AM UTC
Ayup, they took vehicles from all around the force, and uparmored and modified them. 1-64 AR, who replaced us in eastern Baghdad, had all of their HMMWV's replaced with vehicles in Kuwait that had generic sheet metal armor on them, for the ride up, until they could draw our vehicles from us.

That old Arctic Heater truck of ours, though, was our standard .50 cal gun truck for most of the tour. Started out with the unarmored windshield, so the TC asked for permission to mount one of our M240's with a pistol grip in a home made mount in front of the TC's window. Between that and a sturdy I-Beam front bumper, he played the lead more often then not. I'll have to dig around for some pictures. Eventually, though, when we received some spare armored windshields, we replaced it and removed the MG mount. Very controllable, though.

As for the frames, I'd more often see the paint chip than wear. Sometimes, depending on how much off-roading the vehicle went through, you'd see scraped paint, but mostly, it all flaked. You'd see command drivers out there with a putty knife, scraping off all the flaking paint on the visible spots, and repainting the frames black.

Jed
 _GOTOTOP