Hosted by Darren Baker
What's Next Quarterscalers
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 04:46 AM UTC
Ok, we have a couple more Mk. III chassis vehicles, another M4 derivative and another Panther variant from Tamiya - all good calls because they are each cool vehicles in and of themselves, but let Tamiya amortize those expensive die casting moulds over more products.

So here is the question, what do you think they will kit next in 1/48. Not what do you want them to kit next in 1/48, but what does logic tell you they are LIKELY to do. They have to occupy the field - the competition is coming on fast. Trumpeter is just around the corner. DML is lurking. Bandai is dusting off its legacy.

Anyone with insider information is welcome to hint if they dare. Think of it as a fantasy kit pool. Let's see whose crystal ball is clearest.

At the risk of great personal embarassment (not) I will go first:

King Tiger, Henschel turret.
Panther A
M3 Grant/Lee Tank

Any takers?

Konrad
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC
I'm thinking they may branch into US softskins that would also be sellers to aircraft builders. The CCKW and Jeep spring to mind as vehicles that would be popular. Both could be sold in multiple variants like a fuel truck and cargo truck reusing a common chassis sprue and differing only by the body sprue.

Jeeps could be machine gun armed and perhaps variants like a soft top with trailer, follow me Jeep, ambulance Jeep, command Jeep, etc. could be done with a simple sprue swap.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 08:19 AM UTC
Tamiya seems to be releasing tanks that had a multitude of variants based on the hull, saves Tamiya money not to have to cast different hulls. With that in mind here is the logical stream of future releases,,,

Russian...say KV1, KV1S, KV85, SU152, KV2, and KV8, good output with the same die-cast hull. Same thing for the JS (IS)series, you could release the JS1 with either the 85mm or the 122mm guns, the JS2 with early and late upper hulled variants, not to mention the ISU 122 and ISU 152, a possible 5-6 models to be done with the same die-cast hull.

Allied... continuation with their M4 series, Lee's and Grants, M32, M4A2, M4A3, early M4(North Africa, Sicily), even the Priest and Sexton, again all on the same lower die-cast hull. then there's the Valentine, Tamiya could release the Archer, the Bishop and the Mk1 through to Mk 10 Valentines.

German,... well, the're half-way there ......

I can't see Tamiya releasing many soft-skin vehicles, they seem to be fixated on the big boys for now.........

Frank
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 01:03 PM UTC
I wish good modern armour and softskin kits were released in 1/48, I'd say T-55, M60A3, Abrams, T-72, Leopard 1, AMX-13, some armoured cars and also Humvees, Panhard VBLs, trucks, etc...

Cheers,
Christophe
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 09:03 PM UTC
Before they venture into the realm of the German big cats, King Tiger/Jagdtiger, I reckon we'll see another couple of variants of the T-34. The T-34/76 1943, T-34/85 and Su85 being likely candidates.
TedMamere
Visit this Community
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
Armorama: 503 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 10:06 AM UTC
Hi all!

What about a Sdkfz 234 "Puma"?

Jean-Luc
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 10:21 AM UTC
I'm thinking a bunch of variants that would be built on existing hulls. I think their big push might be in the release of several figure kits for the diorama people.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 11:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!

What about a Sdkfz 234 "Puma"?

Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc
Gaso.Line has a full resin kit of that one It's a French maker It costs $55 over here May be cheaper over there

I am thinking more Sherman variants I know Trumpeter has four variants coming out Hopefully more
panzergirrl
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 10:49 PM UTC
Tamiya have done the Hetzer so lets hope they do a 38 (t) and family, that would fill a nice gap.

Larry_dunn
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:54 AM UTC
My guess is:

King Tiger and Jagdtiger
IS-II or IS-III (III more likely, sadly)
Pershing
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:43 AM UTC
I'm thinking they should try to do some modern stuff to have something to go with modern aircraft kits. I think modern subjects would definitely help broaden the market for them.

Ofcourse, this is kind of wishful thinking on my part.
koschrei
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 07:41 PM UTC
Lots of interesting ideas. Those common hull variants have to be tempting to the frugal minded in accounting over at Tamiya.

Any softskins seem likely?

Konrad
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 05:32 PM UTC
If common parts are the criteria for future releases, I hope that means we can expect a Volkswagen, preferably the ambulance variety since Tamiya aleady makes the wheels for the kubelwagen and schwimmwagen and seems to have an eye on the model car market.
Glenn
leclerc
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 02:49 AM UTC
Well, I would like to see ASAP a really accurate Willys jeep MB, as Bandai´s one now shows its age...but someone posted sometime ago at TL that Tamiya san has told that due to copyrights (jeep name and logo plus jeep grille) the fact of releasing a 1/48th scale kit of this vehicle was really difficult if not impossible. I hope I´m wrong!

Easier should be the release of their GMC CCKW, M8 and M20 Greyhound, T55, etc. Any of their latest kits! And they could add a Hummer too, Ford Mutt, etc. Also a Cromwell, Churchill, etc. I hope they´re thinking about motorbikes, as BMW R75, Zundapp, Harley, etc.

Cheers, and Keep´em Modelling!

Larry_dunn
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 04:32 AM UTC
Well, what I'd like to see is a different story altogether. I'd love to see them come out of left field and produce a kit of a great subject that no one has ever produced in stryene in 1/35th before -- like the US 90mm AA gun, or even the Bofors gun. Or perhaps a piece of heavy Japanese artillery. But what I want and what seems likely for them to release are two very different subjects. Expect heavy tanks, because heavy tanks sell. Thus my predictions above.
akaGus
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 11, 2005 - 05:50 PM UTC
Latest FSM has a Tamiya ad with M4's and a crashed P-47.My suggestion is for more softskins, like the CCKW-353 in various configurations-cargo, fuel, workshop, even airfield firetruck.or M27 Bomb service truck. Or if they really wanted to go out on a limb make the Autocar/White 4 ton tractor which could pull either cargo or fuel for airfield dioramas and satisfy softskin guys like myself. I want to do a diorama of the Redball Express going through a bombed out village with CCKW's, Tractor Trailers, MP's in Jeeps, etc. Since Tamiya has already produced 4 different infantry sets, I would suggest a rear echelon figure set, with mechanics, truck drivers, stevedores, bomb handlers,etc. By making the upper torso's interchangeable the figures could be performing all sorts of tasks on the airfield or in the motor pool repair shops for tanks or softskins. One can always dream.
RedHornet
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 07:19 AM UTC
I think that probably they will do the GMC series. I would like to see all of that chassis in nice, hard metal. How about ground crew for aircraft? Might be something to bridge the gap.

FWIW,

Scott
VenomOrca
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 209 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 10:21 AM UTC
I vote for the softskins...

Duece and a half Studebaker, which would lead to a aircraft fuel truck. Maybe an M8 cargo tractor, y'know that rolling box tingy on the stuart chassis, a stuart series would be nice too. Many variants of the Jeeps, and how about the Dodge WC ambulance so we could make some nice M*A*S*H* dioramas.

By the way..whats the designation of that huge school bus they use as an Ambulance in M*A*S*H*...that thing would be nice too.

and modern vehicles..definitely humvees.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 06:01 PM UTC
DML has already produced a really excellent set of German aircrew lounging around in chairs and playing cards (properly scaled, BTW!). I would like to see them scale down some of their 1/35 figure sets. They have the talent for producing great figures as well as vehicles. I would like to see artillery in 1/48, as well as neccessary figs. Half-tracks - German as well as American, of course. I would really like to see Skybow picking up their pace with their projected list of releases - although they are far beyond Tamiya in quality, they are far behind in production. And Trumpeter remains a dark horse - judging from their 1/35 models, some approach DML/Tamiya quality, and some are just mediocre. It looks like some manufacterers are still holding back to see which way the 1/48 market will go, which is only detrimental to the development of this scale.
koschrei
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 04:24 PM UTC
DML has definitely done some really nice work - I have built a set of those German aircrew figures, and they are quite well done indeed -what figure sets would be on your list?

More interestingly, what manufacturers would you like to see weigh in? : I

Konrad

Quoted Text

DML has already produced a really excellent set of German aircrew lounging around in chairs and playing cards (properly scaled, BTW!). I would like to see them scale down some of their 1/35 figure sets. They have the talent for producing great figures as well as vehicles. I would like to see artillery in 1/48, as well as neccessary figs. Half-tracks - German as well as American, of course. I would really like to see Skybow picking up their pace with their projected list of releases - although they are far beyond Tamiya in quality, they are far behind in production. And Trumpeter remains a dark horse - judging from their 1/35 models, some approach DML/Tamiya quality, and some are just mediocre. It looks like some manufacterers are still holding back to see which way the 1/48 market will go, which is only detrimental to the development of this scale.

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 04:47 PM UTC
Personally, I would like to see DML scale down all their 1/35 fig sets released in the last few years, as well as their great half-track series (there's already enough Tiger l's!). Although, according to someone in another thread, DML has allegedly sold out to Tamiya by agreeing not to produce in 1/48 until 2007 for a cash settlement. This implies a real fear of DML by Tamiya, and, if this is true, I've lost some respect for DML for their action. The only way they can redeem themselves is if they quietly produce a range of 1/48 during the intervening year and begin to release it in Jan of 2007. Italeri, in spite of their technical inconsistencies, could release their Sd Ffz 234 series, in 1/48, re-tooled with greater accuracy. And I just wish Tamiya would drop their die-cast hulls which really does nothing to enhance their models.
IdiotStick
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 09:10 AM UTC
Frankie,
Why do you always ignore the Churchill possiblities? That metal hull could be used for every variant ever made; save the Black Prince.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, January 06, 2006 - 09:31 AM UTC
You know me,.....

ignorance is bliss!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2006 - 09:09 AM UTC
Jeez!! If metal means so much, buy Corgi 1/50 models. Its almost the same scale. They're even pre-painted and pre-weathered.
 _GOTOTOP