_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Israeli Tank Colour
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Armorama: 400 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC
HI

I have looked at a lot of pics of late model MERKAVAs and it really does appear there are two different camo schemes.

From what I can determine the majority are in the sandy brown with the rest painted in a greyish drab.

Is this the case or am I whacked?

Thanks for any insight.

Tom
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 10:13 AM UTC
Check these sites out. To my knowledge the IDF doesn't camo their tanks. They are painted one color. However, the color has changed thru the years. Hope these help. "Q"

idfmodeling

idfpaintchips

Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
HI

Cheers. The bottom colour is the other colour I am seeing. Just wondering if the other differences may be attributed to the finishing process of the pictures...

Thanks.

Tom
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 10:33 AM UTC
Yes the color difference could very well be due to the photo finish. I have the Verlinden Merkava Walkaround book, excellent reference, that has several pics of the same tank that look like totally different paint colors. That "Sinai Gray" has a way of "shifting" colors on you. It looks anything from gray to green to sand. But its the same paint out of the can. This is one of the hardest paints to match for the modeller but if you pick one of the several shades that you see in photos you will be ok. I have used the Model Master color and it seems too sandy for me. I have the AEF Designs paint and I seem to like it. I also have the Lifecolours paint and it looks good too. I have even mixed Model Master colors until I like the shade then go with that. Again, its a hard color to match. Hope this helps.
Kahuna
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 02:37 PM UTC
According to the IPMS Israel magazine, the most correct combination is this one:

Humbrol:
3 parts #187
3 parts #29
1 part #125

good luck!

Ori

Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 03:20 PM UTC
Mr color also does That particular green. Maybe you could try that one.

Herky
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2005 - 03:22 PM UTC
HI

Thanks guys

I am holidays next weeks and have decided to do a IIID. If you want, I can post in progress shots ..

Tom
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2005 - 02:04 AM UTC
Please do! Would love to see it. "Q"
carman
Visit this Community
Netanya, Israel
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:19 AM UTC
hello my friend....i live in Israel,
i saw many times our tanks and tools.....i cant tell u that the 83 humbrol colur is the same colur like the real one....
ppl can tell u other things but i tell u the right....
if u dont like the finish- u can make wash with 72 or with 84 and a litle bit of white...
right now i build merkava 2 and the colur show it self very well

daniel/
CDNTanker25
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2006 - 09:22 PM UTC
it has been my experience from what I have learned from other fanatics of IDF armour that there is no right or wrong in this colour. The museum at Latrun, (which many people I know have gone to) has many tanks that have many different shades of the same colour. That being said, you must take into consideration the fact that alot of tanks are modified in the field and are thus painted in the field, the cans of paint are never the same, what is used to thin the paint is different with every tank etc. pic a picture and try to emulate that shade you like and fits whatever you see in pictures, the wonderful thing is that NOONE can tell you it's WRONG!!
 _GOTOTOP