_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Opinons please: Displaying a very detailed..
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 11:31 AM UTC
Ok, most of you know that I am scratchbuilding a 1/72nd scale Panzer IV J with a complete interior and about 30% of the exterior. I most likely already know what the answer is going to be but I would like your opinons anyway please. Like I said before I have scratchbuilt a complete interior for my Panzer IV J, my first thought was to have the main gun and its breech away from the turret to show all the detail in both the main gun and the turret. But then I thought would it not look better with the main gun attached, since the turret roof is cut in half to show the interior? Maybe just leave it, the main gun , unattached. #:-) I know it sounds confusing but I am trying to display it in the best possible way.
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 11:36 AM UTC
I wish I could give you an answer but I as well am looking for the best way to display an interior. After putting so much work into an interior and then just covering it up is a waste.
Hope you get the answer that you seek,
Andrew

BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 11:58 AM UTC
I am not sure on braille scale, I have a tiger I with an interior where the top of the turret comes off to display the interior, it looks okay, but you can't put it in a realistic situation that way. If you just want to put it on a little base and show it off, then just leave the top resting on the turret and pull it off whenever you want to show someone the details. For a show, just leave it off on the side of the base, maybe turned over to show underside details.

Rob
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 12:29 PM UTC
I saw a series of interesting displays in FSM and the acadamy Tiger 1 was one of them. With the complete interior,the modeler wanted to show it off.He went with a plaque design with the chassis,then chassis lid,then turret,then turret lid.One way to go. An in service look would be a factory or field repair being done.The turret could be suspended from a crane and other parts removed for repair/installment. Also,I have heard of cut aways(like the ones Tamiya does for its 1/24 Centurion) that show greater detail for the viewer.Have heard of some sort of technique with dental floss,but not seen any workings like this.Another "in service" look is the knocked out panzer.Always lots of detail seen that way.
 _GOTOTOP