_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Warrior MCV Iraq 2003
harryblack
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 01:43 AM UTC
Can anyone Help
Opened my Birthday presents today and amongst them was a Warrior MCV (Acadamy) from my wife. I have only up to now modelled figures and a few scratch dioramas. So can anyone offer me advice on the colour schemes using either Humbrol or Tamiya paints and other top tips to convert this model into a master piece. I feel I should Know more about this subject as I was out in Iraq with the Royal Marines and have got a photograph of myself an "the Lads" sat astride a Warrior, but at the time I wasn't thinking of colour schemes and rust techniques!!
Any tips would be greatly received as I am a raw novice to this.

Marty S
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi Martin,
as far as the kit builds, I can't help you. I suggest you to have a look to a review either here or at the PMMS site.

For the painting, I would use a mix of Tamiya Dark Yellow and Yellow. The proportions are up to you so far you get the right shade of British Yellow. As you mus know, the paint you British apply is not that much weather resistant. You'll have to give the worn-out aspect by applying patches ans scratches of dark green on the various parts of the vehicles subject to frequent crew passage or sand/weather wearing. A good technique is to use a bit of the scratch face of a domestic sponge slightly wet with the appropriate shade of green.

HTH
olivier
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hi Martin,
maybe I could give you some advice about the building of the kit. I did one a couple of months ago and what really pissed me off were the vinyl tracks. Originally, I was planning to buid the version whitout the add-on armor, but when i place them in position were dammed too loose . I tried to corrected it, but wasn´t too succesfull, so I placed the side skirts and-add on armor to "hide" the mistake . So, be carefull with that matter.
Best regards
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 05:56 AM UTC
If you feel up to it, there are several after-market items for the Warrior. Resin and/or photoetch bits from Accurate Armour, Eduard at one time, and Cromwell, nice replacement tracks from Friul. One problem area to watch out for is the turret stowage basket sits too high, but if you lower it, it will interfere with the rear periscopes. Not an easy fix. Also the final drive housings are too wide, which throws off the size that Academy made the nose add-on armour. Good reference walk-around can be found here:
http://www.primeportal.net/apc/hay/warrior_walk_01.htm

Cheers,
Jim
harryblack
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:43 AM UTC
Thank you for all your advice when the model is complete I'll post it on the site. One last thing, Where would I get a crew from to complete the kit?
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you for all your advice when the model is complete I'll post it on the site. One last thing, Where would I get a crew from to complete the kit?

Accurate Armor has modern british crew, don´t know if there´s other....
best regards
Urutu
Visit this Community
Parana, Brazil
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hello Martin!

I´m built this model depicting an early Op. Telic Worrior (about 2003) and you can see some pics of my finished model at this link:

http://photos.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/70487/cat/500/page/3

If you´d like, you can send me an e-mail. I have a lot of pictures here showing this amazing AFV.

golfodetonkin(at)yahoo.com.br

All the best,

Marcelo
 _GOTOTOP