_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Customising a BMP 1
lkoky
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi,

Sometime ago a nice chap posted the following photos on missing-lynx forum taken in Kabul.

Since I have a 1/72 ACE BMP1 & ZU-23-2 AA kits with me at the moment, I am planning to modify my BMP1 to depict that one shown in the picture below.

Since there is no pictures showing how the AA gun was mounted on the vehicle, so just wonder any of you out there can give me some suggestions how to go about this project.

Please bear in mind that even though I been modelling for >5 years (++) , but so far I am only following the instructions. This will be the first time I try something like this.

I am not in for accurate depiction, just something look convicing enough in 1/72 scale will do me.

thanks.
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 06:06 AM UTC
I think there was a MT-LB, don´t remember if was SKIF or ICM or other russian brand, that has an AA turret on it. Though it´s a 1/35 kit, could be useful to figure how it´s mounted.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 06:08 AM UTC
From what I can on the picture, you'll just have to set the AA gun base-plate on the turret ring.
However, it looks like the turret ring has been narrowed and slightly raised to accomodate the gun mount.

HTH
olivier
lkoky
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 07:06 AM UTC
The problem is the base plate (or ring) of the AA gun is alot smaller that the turret ring of the BMP-1,

So I will need to find some ways to 'fill' up the turre ring opening on the vehicle in order for the AA gun base to sit on.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 04:38 AM UTC
Doing this conversion can be as hard or as easy as you want. I do not have the 1/72 scale kits, but I have several of the 1/35 kits for this "Gun system".

The ZSU-23-2 has been mounted on the BMP-1, the BMD-1, the BMD-D, the GAZ-66, and the MT-LB. This started as a field expedient way to make the ZSU portable, since it is a very effective anti-personel weapon. Now that it's worth has been proven, there are versions that are a bit more refined.

First use was just loading the ZSU into the rear of a GAZ-66. After this, it was simply mounted on the rear deck of a MT-LB. They may have been welded into place.

On the BMP-1 two things were done. 1. A round plate was simply welded over the old turret mounting. I do not know if there was a hatch to help facilitate in ammo handeling, but I doubt it. 2. The ZSU-23-2 was situated on the top of the BMP-1 and the legs were either welded in place or backets were welded to hold the ZSU in place.

The Afghans had some of these early BMP-1/ZSU-23-2 setups with a really gaudy cammo scheme of Dark Green with what looks like spray paint of sand and lilliac! Definately different.

The vehicle you have the picture of is a later conversion, a little more thought out.

Since you are just getting into this, I would suggest doing what makes you feel comfortable. Just jumping into scratchbuilding may be a bit much to do, well, unless you want to. :-)
 _GOTOTOP