_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Warrior MRCV
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 701 posts
Armorama: 640 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC
This is the Accurate Armour conversion for the Academy Warrior IFV. The AA kit was abotu a "B" I would say, but the instructions were a "D", not very helpful at all, especially not showing the location of some parts and misidentifying others. That is the major critism of this kit though, the only other area i had trouble with was the tracks and the side skirts. The tracks i replaced with the new Fruilmodel ones, very good and easy to build as usual. The side skirts idid way with, all the better to show the fruils off.

i was fortunate to recieve an e-mail with several pictures of the Warrior in the Gulf and this helped a lot with the weathering, especially in showing how much the Light Stone paint had worn away revealing the Green below. I would not say this is an easy conversion to build, and some experience of easier kits would be recommended. This is the first UK vehicle i have ever modelled, and did enjoy it, enough to have bought two otther modern UK kits from AA

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye

greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC
fantastic build,

great finish, and just the right amount of weathering for my taste.

Just a couple of things you could do to improve it:

Paint the machine gun barrel black, then rub powdered graphite on it.

only the rubber track pads should be black. As you have used Fruils all you need to do is lightly rub the outside edges with scotchbright to expose some of the metal.

You could then use some pigments to add dust to the tracks, as they look a little clean compared to the rest of the wagon.

Not nit picks, just tips to make an excellent model even better!

Regards

Joe
dexter059
Visit this Community
Region de Valparaiso, Chile
KitMaker: 1,569 posts
Armorama: 1,385 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:33 AM UTC
Wonderful build, the extra stowage looks impresive, also the paint job. Good work!
Best Regards
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 09:41 AM UTC

Great build......done 12 of these ............not hard after #4 :-) :-) :-) :-) ---nice finish
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Urutu
Visit this Community
Parana, Brazil
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 01:14 PM UTC
Great, Ethelian!!!!!

I love the weathering and the way come corners are darkened!

Congratulations,

Marcelo
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2005 - 03:20 PM UTC
Thats really well done there Ethelian. Please do share with us how you did the panel lines and highlights.

Would be great if the moderators could get you to do a feature on this one.
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 06:59 AM UTC
Thanks for all the kind words and the suggestions, especially as this is my first modern UK vehicle and i was not sure if i had over done the weathering or not...means a lot to read your comments

Joe, you mention the Chain gun should be black? In my reference pics the Chain Gun is the same colour as the rest of the vehicle, possibly when they were repainted for the Gulf they over sprayed the barrel as well? As for the tracks, again i was going by the reference pics i have of MRCV's in the Gulf and they show the tracks as being all black with very few signs of wear and tear, if any at all. Obviously this could be a vehicle that has just arrived "in country" but i have got pics of two different vehicles and the tracks look the same on both, no weathering.

Jeremy, basically there is nothing to the weathering. I started off with an Olive Drab undercoat and misted over this two top coats of Light Stone. I tried not to cover any areas that i wanted the base coat to show though. Then i used several washes of Burnt Umber oils, to highlight these areas, and to "dirty" up all the air intakes and the exhaust . Then i applied the decals and sprayed three coats of Dullcoat to lessen any "shine".

Once again thank you for your comments they mean a
lot!

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 10:56 AM UTC
Well if you want to depict a new to theatre vehicle then the finish on the tracks and gun are ok as they are then

Believe me, as soon as the gun was fired, there wouldnt be much paint left!

Regards

Joe
Hawkeye
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 06:43 AM UTC
Thanks for that Joe, i guess the pics i have are of vehicles that have not fired their gun, or have been cleaned up for some reason, maybe to pose for the photographer*lol*

Regards from the Swamp

Hawkeye
 _GOTOTOP