_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting
Tngo1
Visit this Community
Vietnam
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 01:48 PM UTC
I'm very new at this, can someone please give me step by step on how to go about painting my T62A. I heard of painting including washing, weathering, and much more. If anyone please give me some information on how to go about it maybe this question has been asked before if i could just get the link to information is helpful. Thanks for the help.
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 10:55 AM UTC
For me, I find the best way is to build the model in logical stages, ie turret, chassis etc. I usually leave the tracks to last. Once you are ready to paint chose your base coat (if you are are doing chipped paint) most tanks have some chipping. A cool way I saw was the base coat painted on and dried. Then water was sprayed on the model. While it was still wet you sprinkle salt on and let it dry. After that you spray on your top coat. Once you do all that you do your weathering/washing. You should find all you need for that on this site. Remeber to age your tank before you add your mud. When I did my mud for a Pz IV, I put squadron putty where I wanted the thick mud then borrowed my wife's folk art paints and dry brushed a mix of them on. It looked like the tank had gone though a mud puddle at top speed :-) Anyways, the best thing I can suggest is experiment, experiment, experiment. There is a marked difference between the tanks I first did and the tanks I'm doing now.
Cheers
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 94 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:39 AM UTC
Mate,

Welcome to this site. I'm sure you will learn heaps I as have from visiting regularly. May I suggest you look at some other sites as well, for eg Perth Military Modeling and Doc Dios for eg have useful articles on weathering

Good luck.

Digger
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Armorama: 310 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:30 PM UTC
Hello,and welcome.The paint chipping with the salt technique is something I am about to give a try.I don't know what you use for the removal of the paint but like Merkave had stated, experiment! I use an airbrush and don't know your painting set up so,here are some basic ideas and tips.After you have painted,apply your decals,dullcoat,and then start your weathering.Washes are a system within the weathering catagory.Washes are just a very thin(90%-10%)paint.I use oils because I feel that the pigments are carried better in the thinner.Apply this liberally apon you model.Some suggest wetting the model with thinner first but,I don't.Experiment and find what works for you.After the inital wash,I(this is only a suggestion that works for me,try it to se if you do)make a denser wash(75%thinner-25%paint) and with a very thin brush,Transfer this to the ares that could use a very high contrast. I.E.nuts,bolts,seams,weldlines,etc.After this has dried(I believe that the more time you give anything to dry,the less problems you have),drybrush your subject.Drybrushing is the prossess of dipping your brush in paint,then wiping it on a rag,towel,paper or other similar material ubtil almost nothing comes off.Remember that it's easier to dip again because you wiped to much off ,and aren't getting any results on your model,than to smear to much on the subject.Another thing that may help is to work gradually lighter in the base color than to go to a stark diference in color.Another tip;if working with Greens,lighten with sand or buff.This will give you a dusty,sun bleached look.I know that this is semi-long but,there is most certainly going to be more questions from you and more tips from others,so it really isn't that long after all.Remember,the only question that is stupid,is the one that is not asked.
Tngo1
Visit this Community
Vietnam
KitMaker: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 05:13 PM UTC
Thanks for all the helpful tips, i'll try it all, Thanks once again. Cheers :-)
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 07:50 PM UTC
God i remember when when i first started everthing was so intimidating then it all suddenly started to come together.
Best of luck to ya
Branden
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:03 PM UTC
Welcome aboard... Have fun.

_GOTOTOP