_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Cold Feet III - first pics
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 03:26 AM UTC
Since I posted a lot of blabla about the tree and the progress of my vignette, the story (commonly referred to as "the Volkmar Affair") deserves some visual illustration.

The dio is not yet finished, the camera was almost out of batteries and I didn't discover the "macro" function before my colleague pointed it out to me this morning, but here's an appetizer.

The tree and treehut may not be sharp in these pictures, but they give a general idea where things are going. When I took the picture, vegetation on the ground was not yet dusted with snow. I did that last night (I'm still sneezing microballoons and my eyes are red , newt time I'll use talcum powder !!!).
I put Volkmar and his swing in the picture just for trials, there's some more work to do before I can fix him. I need to add some snow in some places, I still need to put glass in the hut window, Volkmar and the swing need some more work.
The orange tape is to be removed after paintwork is done : it is to protect the dio base from hairspray, paint and snow.

Sorry these pictures are so out of focus. Now I discovered the "macro" button on that digicam, I'll try to post better pics next week !
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 03:46 AM UTC
I can only see the bottom picture... but it looks good, though! Very nice looking snow on the tree and hut. Is that a beer I see in the lower left corner of the pic? :-)
Can't wait for more pics!

YodaMan
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:12 AM UTC
I fixed the other pic's problem, though.
The tree is the same wire+plaster tree you have seen in the 'making trees" topic on the Diorama forum, now all dressed up for the party.
PS : Sorry about the beer. I didn't spot that myself ! Too bad the picture doesn't allow you to taste the beer. Then again : it doesn't send you the eye irritation I got from those microballoons either !
Dmd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 210 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:34 AM UTC
ziet er aardig uit jan !! mooi werk.

salukes
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:41 AM UTC
No need for apologies about the beer. (as long as there were no microballoons spilled in it! )
What did you use to fix the snow to the base?

YodaMan
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What did you use to fix the snow to the base?

Wet white paint the first time around, then hairspray to coat the snow, than a second helping on top of the wet hairspray, then some brown (muddy) patches with a drop of paint-soiled water, then blown away the loose snow (outside the window !), then another layer of hairspray... Then came the trees, then the picture, since then I added an extra coating of hairspray, snow and hairspray.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 02:58 PM UTC
Great job so far Jan. His he swinging from the tree? This 4 x6 is limiting but what the heck lets give it a try anyway Eagles looks like the whole thing will be just a building.
As my Father passed away two weeks ago I find it hard to build this dio anyway
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 05:37 PM UTC
Hey Jan

Its looking very nice!...one a couple of questions...how are you going to get your shed to fit on the little base??? and is Volkmar swinging form the tree on a swing???
But the tree and hut are looking very good!...I like!...
Keep it up..

Cris
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 09:04 PM UTC

About those dimensions : the dio base is a perfect 6 inch circle. Where does it say that nothing can be wider above that base ? There is no height limit either... ?

Keith, if you don't agree with that, please comment ?

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

- All element of your submission must be permanantly mounted on a base no larger than 4x 6 inches. If you wish to use a round base, the diameter must be no greater than 6 inches. No portion of the dio can extend beyond that base. There is no restriction on height.

That was taken from the 'official rules' post. (the first topic on the diorama forum page)
I think that the size restriction is harder to deal with than the $30 limit! I just measured my base for the first time since I put the plater on... I've got maybe 1/32 of an inch to spare... Shoulda planned for that.

YodaMan
 _GOTOTOP