_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tamiya SU-85 Russian Tank Destroyer t35072
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2002 - 06:38 PM UTC
Hi,

Anybody built this kit?

Is it any good?

Cheers
Digger
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:29 AM UTC
I haven't built the SU-85, but I have built the SU-122. I would advise you to get the DML SU-85 over this if possible as it is much better, but this kit is o.k. It is an old Tamiya kit so you get the &(*%^$ motorization holes and horrible rubber tracks with detail on only one side and they need to be melted together.

If you do buy this kit and don't replace the tracks you will need to find a way to make them lay over the tops of the roadwheels like they did in real life. You may try doing this with string that has been pushed through the middle of the track with a needle and then tied around the axles. An easier way to do this would be to just buy some AM tracks. They don't even have to be expensive ones like Friulmodel or Modelkasten, but rather the RPM set available through NKR models down your way.

Digger--For future reference, every Soviet (modern & WWII) kit by Tamiya, with the exception of the upcoming T-55A, is an old one. They all have the &%&* motorization holes and crappy tracks. Other than those 2 very bad points the kits go together well and in general are good representations of the vehicle. In most cases though, kits by other companies of Russian vehicles are much better. I am not trying to knock Tamiya in this, but Soviet vehicles are my favorite area and as a result I have about 120 Soviet kits from all eras at home and have found that Tamiya's offerings are not that great compared to other companies in this area. That is mainly because they are so old and the other companies have newer kits using more modern model producing techniques.

If you like the T-34 or vehicles built on its chassis, I would HIGHLY recommend the DML offerings (3 versions of the T-34/85, SU-100, SU-85, & SU-85M) as they are simply wonderful. Zvezda also makes some very nice kits of the T-34 & its variants (T-34/76 mod. 42, mod. 43, SU-100, SU-85, and T-34/85). Also, the RPM T-34/85 'Rudy' is a good kit.

If you have any questions about the vehicles themselves or any other Soviet vehicle kits, please feel free to email me. I have an extensive collection of Soviet kits and an extensive research library on Soviet vehicles and love to talk about kits and what they represent. :-)

I am exited that someone else here has some interest in Soviet WWII vehicles. I was beginning to think that I was the only one. BTW, if you want some truly interesting Soviet kits check out ICM's T-35 and T-28 (both available through Earl at NKR). They are great kits of bizarre vehicles that would make a great addition to any model collection. I plan on starting both very soon.

HTH
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 03:58 AM UTC
Adam,
I am building the DML T34/85 with a completely scratch-built interior. I have found drawings and photos of the hull and engine compartment. I have not been able to find anything on the turret interior. Do you have any info on the turret? Which side is the gunner on down inside, what are the configurations of the sights, etc. Anything you have would be helpful. Thanks.
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC
Gino--Let me look at my references at home and I'll get back to you. If I haven't responded to you one way or the other by Friday shoot me an email to remind me at [email protected].
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 04:18 AM UTC
Thanks, I'll be looking forward to whatever you come up with.
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 06:40 PM UTC
Dear Major Avukich,

I'm sure there are others like us who are interested in Russian armour.

Thanks for the reply - it certainly sounds like you know and love your stuff.

i will let you know as I get more specific queries.

Was that some of your handy work I've seen on Tracklinks? Very nice work indeed.

I've only ever built Tamiya kits. I'm afraid I'm a little scared of individual track links - I know the good modelers swear by them but I must be fundamentally lazy or something. Although I do think the sag looks fantastic.

What's your favourite Russian tank?

Thanks again
Digger
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:02 AM UTC
Lt. Digger--I know where you are coming from when it comes to indy links, but rest assured that they are much easier than they look. This SU-85 would be the perfect tank for you to take the plunge for 2 big reasons. 1) The RPM indy links are nice and inexpensive through NKR (Actually I just went over to NKR's site and saw that he doesn't have the RPM ones, but the Maquette ones which are acutally the same tracks just boxed by Maquette for $8 Aust.). 2) T-34 links are big and easy to handle. If you have a lot of problems with them you can always

I felt the same way that you did about indy links, but decided that I needed to take the plunge after performing major surgery on my Tamiya KV-2 kit to get the tracks to sag and then stepping back and thinking that it still didn't look good to me because there was no detail on the inside of the tracks. I started with the Friulmodel T-26 tracks for the Zvezda T-26. They were a bit difficult for the first 10 links or so and then I figured out how to best do them and got into a rythm and had them done in about 1 1/2 hours. The Friul track I used for the SU-122 took only 30 minutes because how large the track links are compared to the T-26. All I can say is please do yourself a favor and try another manufacturer. Tamiya is good, but so are a lot of others out there. Actually, Tamiya sucks when it comes to Russian stuff because they have so little of it. I would highly suggest looking into some of the Eastern European manufacturers that NKR carries such as ICM, IDK, or RPM (I wouldn't get an AER or Maquette kit until you have had some practice with these other guys first). Their kits are easy to build and they have some interesting subjects such as the T-28, T-35, & T-60.

My favorite Russian tank has to be anything on the BT chassis. I love the BT-2, BT-5, BT-7, and all of the bizarre little variants. I am more into early war and Winter War Soviet equipment than anything else, but I like it all. I love the T-28, T-26, T-35, T-34, etc. I have almost got my AER T-38 finished (don't buy this kit unless you want to punish yourself) and then my next couple of projects are going to be the (in no particular order):

1) ICM/IDK T-28 with ACE PE, ModelKasten tracks, and Jordi Rubio barrel
2) ICM/IDK T-35 with Eduard PE, Friulmodel tracks, and Jordi Rubio barrels (two 45mm & one 76.2mm)
3) Zvezda/Italeri BT-5 with Aber PE, Friulmodel tracks, MA Mori sprockets, and Jordi Rubio barrel
4) Toko GAZ-AAA with PART PE and Armo wheels
5) Alan/DML BA-20 mostly OOB
6) Tamiya T-34/76 Mod. 43 backdated to a Mod. 40 with Armo 1940 hull, Armo 1940 Welded turret, Armo early pattern rubber rimmed wheels, Friulmodel 1940 pattern tracks, Tank Workshop interior, & CMK engine. [This project will end up taking quite a while as I've never done an interior and I've never tackled resin on this scale before, but you've got to start somewhere . The Armo hull & turret are both beautiful and they come with extensive PE frets as well.]

Please feel free to email me direct with questions or just to BS about Soviet equipment.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sure there are others like us who are interested in Russian armour.
Digger

Hi Digger,

For russian armour a good site is THE RUSSIAN BATTLEFIELD

HTH
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:47 AM UTC
Digger--I almost forgot to say thank you for your compliments on my work over on TL.

HeavyArty--I posted 2 pictures of the T-34/85 turret interior over in the Reference Photos section on the MSN Armorama area (I'm sending bigger versions to you via email).
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 09:20 AM UTC
avukich -
You said,
"I started with the Friulmodel T-26 tracks for the Zvezda T-26. They were a bit difficult for the first 10 links or so and then I figured out how to best do them and got into a rythm and had them done in about 1 1/2 hours."

I am also most interested in the Winter War (from the Finnish prespective) and (censored)inuation War, so I'm building a lot of Soviet armor. I have two T-26's in various stages of completion, and am trying to get some single-link tracks. What's your secret for doing the T-26 fruil tracks? I've put together a set for Fruil tracks for a KV 1E, and had a good time doing that, but got frustrated doing some SdFk 251 tracks, so an a bit leary about tackling the tiny links for the T26. Any tips and hints will be appreciated.
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 599 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 10:04 AM UTC
Digger,

Just thought I would throw in my two cents here. I bought the DML SU-85 as a quick little build and found it fantastic. I really enjoyed putting the beast together, and the indy links were no problem at all. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Stuke
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 01:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What's your secret for doing the T-26 fruil tracks?

JimF--Here is my process for building the links:

1) Make a jig out of balsa wood to keep the links straight.

2) Drill out the holes in each link and do any clean-up (not much if any).

3) Put together runs of 5 links at a time and let them sit while working on the next run of 5.
NOTE: When putting together the links the thing that has worked the best for me is to not cut the wire until it has been inserted into the links. What I mean by that is leave it on the roll that it comes in with the tracks until you have it pushed the whole way through the link and then cut it flush with the links and use a small file to sand the burr down. This is a big help because it is much easier to push the long piece of wire through than to try and push a small piece that is already cut to size. After you have sanded the burr then place a small drop of CA on the end of the wire and move on to the next link.

4) After you have a couple of sets of 5 links done then stick them together and build up your run until it is the correct length. NOTE: I either leave an idler or drive sprocket off so that I can put the completed run on after painting or I will not connect the 2 ends of the run until the tracks are on the vehicle and then I will connect it as the final step after painting is done and the tracks have been positioned on the vehicle.

JimF--If you need any references or just want to chat about early Russian armor (my favorite subject), send me an email at [email protected].

HTH
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 05:16 AM UTC
Soviet armor is cool !

I like the wheeled vehicles most : BTs, BRDMs, BTRs...
Digger
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 12:19 PM UTC
Thanks everyone for their help. I promise I will try a different brand in 2003 - and I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Digger
p.s. I have been to the Russian Battlefield Site - it is most useful
 _GOTOTOP