Hosted by Darren Baker
Floor walls and door
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi armorama members, I am going to build my SAS diorama with a SAS figure standing in a front of a door with his riotgun, anyone who know how to build Floor walls and a door?

/Jamal
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 07:30 AM UTC
There is an article on building floors in the features section. It is very well written. That's where I'd start on floors.
As far as doors. I'm not sure of scale so I'll be scale independant.

Doors, I'd start with a piece of bass wood the size you need or the size of four panels that you need. Then add small strips of balsa or bass wood to the big piece as trim and panel dividers. These go around the outside edge and then as a cross, on both sides.
Or use channeled pieces of balsa or bass wood to hold the four panels together. Assemble it with white glue.
I'd make a door knob out of wire and clay.
I'd stain it with household wood stain.
Hinges you can make out of wire and card stock. Cut card to the desire size and roll over wire. You could go to the extent of using plastic tubing and build function hinges.
I'd model it after a real door as much as you can.
A metal door could be made straight out of plastic styrene sheets. cut to size and made thick enough by using blocks of plastic or making a big box of styrene.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 10:55 AM UTC
The article referred to on floors is here:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/112

There is also an article I did in the FEATURES "Hall of Fame #8" called "Scratchbuilding a Diorama" that covers building walls and buildings from scratch using common materials. Here is that link:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/70

Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:19 PM UTC
For floors just use strip bass wood and glue it together with white glue or, my favorite, wood glue.
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:39 PM UTC
I was going to put a pic here of one of my floors but it wont let me.
How do I do it. I went to the image help and done what it said to do but it wont work.
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:42 PM UTC
Here is a link to the pic.

Floor
Gatekeeper
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 142 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 05:56 PM UTC
Hey Jamal

It looks like you have enought help...but I wanna join in...
When I make floorboards I use padlle pop sticks...(ice cream sticks)...cut them to the right size. Them if you want to make them look damaged or blown apart or something like that you use your knife and cut along the grain spliting it. keep spliting for a while till you have your wanted look (tip: cut different lengths of splits in the wood). To make them look like thay are polished you can use used moter oil (for a darker tone) and put it over your floor boards...or cooking oil for a light tone...or mix 50 50 of both.
Good luck
Cris
P.s its good to have your boards all stick together in stead of trying to paint board by board.
User_789
Visit this Community
Sweden
KitMaker: 476 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 05:44 AM UTC
Thanks for answers but I am not looking for a sort of a brickwall-floor that you described, I want the figure standing on a sort of "plane" floor.

Please answer me one more time!

/Jamal
 _GOTOTOP