_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Need info about Late Version Panther G
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 07:40 AM UTC
A figure modeler and an old panzer builder will do it again!!
I need all references I can on a late model Panther G in late '44 - jan-may '45. I would prefer online material or stuff that available from somewhere on the net.
I have about 3-4 books on the panther already but I want more pictures of the real thing, specially on cammo patterns, armor damage (riccoche marks (hope thats how u spell it) small arms shots on the armor, normal wear and tear of a tank that been trugh hell and back) Division insignias, "special" marks and names on different tanks and so on, I think you get the point. I'm doing Tamiyas Panther G late model, the one with the 2 figures on the turret, I also have Abers PE sets, general detail and front fenders and side skirt holders, fruil's white metal tracks and Jordi Rubio aluminum turned barrel!! SO any info on weaknesses or strengths from any of the "kit" or any assembling troubles you might have had, or any tips and so on. All in all I want to know it all!! (lol im greedy ) Hope anyone can help !!
All my best
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:07 AM UTC
Okay, here's the best I can do for you. It's a big place, takes time to load. Enjoy!

http://members.tripod.com/~dietmagic/panther.html
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:10 AM UTC
Anders !
When I read that title, I thought someone caught Bin Laden by the tail or something !
Handle with care !
Jan
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 11:20 AM UTC
Jan,
Yikes...me too! Glad it was "Anders" news.

Good luck with your Panther project!

Jim
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 12:36 PM UTC
Aaaaahaha, Jim if you wish...change the title to Need info about Late Version Panther G

It is almost as news breaking as binladen getting cought with is pants down

weeeeeeeeee!!!
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm doing Tamiyas Panther G late model, the one with the 2 figures on the turret, I also have Abers PE sets, general detail and front fenders and side skirt holders, fruil's white metal tracks and Jordi Rubio aluminum turned barrel!! SO any info on weaknesses or strengths from any of the "kit" or any assembling troubles you might have had, or any tips and so on. All in all I want to know it all!! (lol im greedy ) Hope anyone can help !!
All my best

This sounds like quite a project that you are under taking. I having been doing another Panther lately and also used a lot of aftermarket stuff. The one thing that I found was that that the Jordi Barrel for the Panther does not really fit the Tamiya kit that well ( it also does not fit the DML kit). The proportions are not right either. The CMK Barrel is a much better fit and it comes with a nice mantlet. The best on-line resource for correct the flaws in the Tamiya Panther is the Missing Links Tweaks List . It's a VERY extensive listing of just what needs to be done to make the kit a masterpiece.

As far as an online resource for the exact mods that were in place for your requested time frame, I'm afraid there's not one. Jentz and Doyle are the "undisputed heavy weight champions" when it comes to the modifications and the book, Panther and the Quest for Supremacy is easily the all around best book on the Panther.

As far as camo schemes and unit markings, I can recommend the Concord books and the Armada books have lots of color plates that can provide some inspiration. The websites that are currently available, are just not providing much in the way of usable artwork.

So, if you have specific questions about the production features for a late model panther, send me a note. I have an extensive library on the Panther and could help out if needed.

Later,
Tim
www.tankshack.com

tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:47 PM UTC
Here's a link to the Tweaks list that might actually work.
http://www.missing-lynx.com/library/german/l-german.htm
Later,
Tim
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:55 PM UTC
Anders,
Try this link for ideas.
http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/dio/rwpanth/rwpanth.htm
I have the Jentz/Doyle book on Panthers at home. I will check it and post any information either tonight or over the weekend.
pipesmoker
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 649 posts
Armorama: 379 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2002 - 12:11 PM UTC
OL, Anders, here you go...Modifications to Panther G - 1944-45
May/June 1944 - sheet metal replaces casting where exhaust pipes exit rear, sheet metal covers over exhaust pipes to reduce heat glow at night.. Three sockets welded on turret roof for placing a jib boom to remove engine deck, engine or transmission.. Handle welded on outside of rear access hatch.
August 1944 - add sheet metal rainguard over drivers periscope. Sheet metal guard welded to front of turret roof to prevent debris from getting in the gap behind the mantlet. All Panthers to come from the factory with camouflage paint. Olivegreen and redbrown over the darkyellow base coat.
September 1944 - discontinue zimmerit. Panthers no longer base coated darkyellow, they left the factory in primer red paint with olivegreen and darkyellow "sparingly" painted. If the factory did not have darkyellow paint they could use darkgrey paint. Larger rain guard over the gunners sight in the mantlet.
October 1944 - start using the flame suppressor exhausts
November 1944 - raised fan tower for crew compartment mounted over the left engine compartment exhaust fan. This diverted hot air into the crew compartment.. Elimination of rear shock absorbers.
January 1945 - delete half of the mounting bolts in the rear deck. Sheet metal covers mounted over the intake and exhaust grates on the engine deck. These were to help protect these items from artillery splinters.
March 1945 - 5 steel loops welded to each side of turret for use in tying branches for camouflage to the tank.
Most of this material is information from Jentz & Doyles book. Some from Panther in Action and "Panther" by Anderson & Wai.
I'm sure there is more out there. Good hunting!

m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2002 - 12:50 PM UTC
Try this site, has alot of color pics.

http://www.gandamar.obywatel.pl/Wehrmacht/Panzerwaffe/PzKpfwVang.html
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC
Thanks for all your help, now I have a few days worth of material to skim trough!!
Thanks Again!!

_GOTOTOP