The Marder´s ambush
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 08:22 AM UTC
Hello again!

As I had got a Marder III Ausf M some time ago from a retailer with my promise to show the finished modell in his shop´s showcase, I made only a very small diorama (vignette) to save time. I delayed the compliance of my promise for nearly two years...

The flowers are elder blossoms that were painted with oil colour. The long and short grass is from NOCH railway supply. The foliage are real ones that were collected in spring somewhere in the woods. The trunk is made from bark. Moss on it was made by sprinkling some amount of baking soda onto spots of white glue and airbrushed with Green afterwards.

Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 09:04 AM UTC
Wow. Good job. You've done a good job with the groundwork. It looks very realistic.
A couple of figgies in the Marder would add realism, to an already realistic scene.

Nice job.
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 09:06 AM UTC
Ciao Viking,
I can only echo the comments of Simon. You really have done a fantastic job on this one. So realistic and I really like the "busy" look of all the foliage. Some figures would really be a jewel in the crown. Congrats on some wonderful work!!
WildCard
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 945 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 09:10 AM UTC
Viking, thanks for sharing the detail on the ground works. Very convincing and nicely crafted. I'm sure many here will benefit from your valuable information.

WC
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 09:16 AM UTC
looks great viking, the groundwork is amazing! and hte marder is beautiful!
Frank
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 09:59 AM UTC
Excellent work!!! It looks real. Cheers Kevin
Jenny
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 119 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 10:11 AM UTC
I really really like the feel of this , I just realised one of the things that makes this so appealing is the way how the Marder looks weighty , it looks like it has driven over the groundwork & not been placed on it .
Very very well done
Jenny :-)8
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 10:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I delayed the compliance of my promise for nearly two years...

...but it was worth waiting for it. Exellent work, Viking

Cheers
Erik
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 11:02 AM UTC
I love this Marder..You have an excellent model here. The Groundwork is amazing. It looks very realistic. Everything flows together nicely. I also love the look of the actual base..what did you use?
madspaniard
Visit this Community
Porto, Portugal
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 197 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:08 PM UTC
Fantastic job on the marder and the ground,but with some figures it will be awesome.
congratulations
Pedro
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,396 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 03:16 PM UTC
Excellent build Viking! The marder looks great... love the camo. I think the retailer will be happy when he sees your vignette on his display shelf...
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 07:01 PM UTC
Really top notch, Vikes!
You must be proud to stand back and look at it in a completed state after all this time.
Cheers
Brad
P.S. I hope no wildlife was harmed during the placement of that German thingy :-)
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 07:20 PM UTC
excellent work viking... the marder is very very good (camo+weathering) but the groundwork is what makes the vignette more special..... great stuff!

show us more pics please? like to see how you did the interior of the tank
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 09:13 PM UTC
Great job. The Marder and teh groundwork are excellent. Thanks for sharing the details.
Pictures are fantastic. How could you take them?
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 11:25 PM UTC
That is one good looking Marder, you've build Viking. Great paintjob (Love the camo) and great weathering. Groundwork look great as well.
Blade48mrd
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,185 posts
Armorama: 810 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 01:44 AM UTC
Viking -

A truly masterful piece of work. As others have commented, the groundwork is exceptional and really looks life like. The Marder itself is very well done and blends right in (though Iagree that adding a crew would make this look even more convincing). If an ambush scene for a touch more realism, I'd add some foliage to the Marder as this would have been done to help break up it's outline. The only problem would be that it will cover some of the outstanding detail and camo on the Marder. Outstanding job and thanks for sharing,

Blade48mrd
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 01:47 AM UTC
Great Work Viking

Especially like the ground work. Amazing. Keep it up

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hoohah! Great job all around. Yours should be an object lesson to all these people who over chip their paint. You nailed the effect, in realistic placement, amounts and in coloration of the exposed metal. As the others have commented, the groundwork makes this a standout.
Congrats!
hemble
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 123 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 08:22 AM UTC
Holy [auto-censored]e, That has to be one of the best dio's I've seen in a long time your eye for details is exceptional and the ground work is very realistic.

Ron
Viking
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hi!
Thanks to all of you for your kind replies!
Simon Bering P.
Quoted Text

A couple of figgies in the Marder would add realism, to an already realistic scene.

You are surely right and I actually planned to have also figures in and on the vehicle, but a contest "took me by surprise" and I had to postpone this for that time. I only consider wether to take stock figures or alter or scratchbuild some...
Jenny
Quoted Text

I just realised one of the things that makes this so appealing is the way how the Marder looks weighty , it looks like it has driven over the groundwork & not been placed on it .

This was a real challenge, as the running gear could only be attached to the tank, when I had finished the base. Adding to this quick to do work came that I screwed the chassis from underneath, which was a real challenge to "hit" the hole, while the tank sat somehow on the base only held by two and a half of my fingers and the rest of them fiddling with the screw and the base. Completing this desastrous phase the tracks departed several times, as they are old system ones from friulmodell (they have to be snatched together without a pin). But this was the only way to get the impression as if the springs of the wheels are expanded or pressed together just as the slope demands.

Mary
Quoted Text

I also love the look of the actual base..what did you use?

You mean the wooden curved plate? This was available at a local craftsmen´s shop and I only had to paint it with burnt sienna oil colour and sealed with clear varnish afterwards.

Bradley J
Quoted Text

I hope no wildlife was harmed during the placement of that German thingy

:p of course not! I had to seal the plants prior to adding it in my base and stored it for nearly two years. Any animal would have already fled during such a long time...

Mojimbo
Quoted Text

show us more pics please? like to see how you did the interior of the tank

I have written an article on this Marder including the construction of the vehicle and the hints on painting. If you are interested, you can have a look at: Marder 3M article

Alguhan
Quoted Text

Pictures are fantastic. How could you take them?

I have an Olympus C5060, used a small table tripod, a remote-control release and the smallest lens aperture at zooms of 1:50 to 1:35. The pictures were taken outside during sunshine but the base was positioned in the shadow. Important is also a manual white balance.
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 06:31 AM UTC
wundervoll !!!
 _GOTOTOP