Faxon Conversions thoughts?
Gstealer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 01:11 AM UTC
Hi,
I've been pondering picking up a couple of the Faxon Conversion kits for the Tamiya Sherman and Panzer IV. Specifically, the Composite hull and the Jagdpanzer IV or Brummbar.

Has anyone picked any of his kits up? I'm looking for info on not so much how accurate are the kits are, but how are the kits themselves to work with (molding, bubbles etc).

Thanks in advance,
-Doug
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
Steve Faxon has been doing conversions for some time and I have examples over a span of time. They are all quite buildable, and the latest ones (like the Ferdinand, which I got about a year ago) are quite nice, having benefited from his growing experience. I have not purchased his latest Sherman offerings, as I have the same things in the earlier versions he did for the Bandai kits, and do not want to render them useless. Interestingly based on my measurements, his old Bandia based Sherman conversions can be fit to the Tamiya chassis with a little fiddling, which I intend to do.

Hope this was helpful

Konrad

Quoted Text

Hi,
I've been pondering picking up a couple of the Faxon Conversion kits for the Tamiya Sherman and Panzer IV. Specifically, the Composite hull and the Jagdpanzer IV or Brummbar.

Has anyone picked any of his kits up? I'm looking for info on not so much how accurate are the kits are, but how are the kits themselves to work with (molding, bubbles etc).

Thanks in advance,
-Doug

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 09:54 AM UTC
I have his StuG III AusF F variant With a bit of fidling I think I can get it to work on the Tamiya kit It does have a lot of pitting? on the superstructure I do have some Sherman hulls of his I will post some photos later on today for you
Gstealer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 11:41 AM UTC
Thanks guys!

Better pics would be great.

I have a Tamiya Panzer IV sitting at my LHS waiting for me to finish the Sherman I'm working on. I'd really like to build the Jagdpanzer IV out of it.

-Doug
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 12:33 PM UTC
Here's some pics of the Faxon M4 composite resin hull in 1/48 Pic 1 is of the upper hull It shows some molded on tools They do look good for molded on tools The second pic of the hull is the bottom portion How to remove all that resin so it will fit on the kit is a good question The third pic is of the transmission cover It too has a lot of resin to remove

koschrei
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 03:37 AM UTC
I have a Faxon direct vision hull and a composite as well. Looking at the Tamiya kits and Steve's parts to see how they would fit together I came to these preliminary conclusions:

If you want to use crew in the hull openings, some extensive resin removal will be required. to create an open area under the hatch opening. The same goes for Steve's resin turrets if you are using one.

The turret is brobably most easily attached with a screw. If using one of Steve's resin high bustle turrets that is pretty much the only way to do it. I have had success adding a piece of brass rod to a hole in the bottom of the turret to serve as a pivot, drilling and tapping it to hold a small machine screw to allow it to be easily attached in other solid turret conversions. This is way easier to do than it shounds, and can be done with hand tools. If you are using the Tamiya turret, you could modify the turret bottom to a simple flat plate made from some farily substantial flat styrene stock, and add the pivot screw through the hatch hole. Care in locating the pivot holes will be required in either case.

The way Tamiya split their upper and lower hulls on the Sherman kits, the top edge of the lower hull seems to line up exactly with the lower edge of the upper hull. When I put sponson bottoms on the upper hull during the consrution of my first Tamiya, that observation proved to be true. This allows the Faxon conversion to be carefully sanded flat on the bottom and the Tamiya hull basically screwed onto the bottom of the resin part. Screws let you make minor fit adjustments by shifting the parts before tightening the screws (here is where the Tamiya method of assembly is a huge advangage).

Adding locater strips on the bottom of the resin hull to position the inboard edges of the die cast hull sides will be helpful. You will have to relieve the area under the rear overhang to allow room for the air cleaners and to create the open area for the exausts. I would not drill the mounting holes and put the screws in until I had fitted the transmission cover though.

The Transmission cover does not need to be completely hollowed out, but will require some careful reliefs to fit it to the upper an lower hull. Once this relationship is worked out, I would attach the transmission cover to the bolting flange on the front of the upper hull with everything temporarily screwed together, seperate the parts and reinforce this joint from the inside and then permanently screw the lower hull to this entire sub-assembly. If you do not like fussing with screws you could use the locater strips as a gluing aid and flow ACC along the joints after removing the primer from the contact areas of of the die cast part.

Konrad

Quoted Text

Here's some pics of the Faxon M4 composite resin hull in 1/48 Pic 1 is of the upper hull It shows some molded on tools They do look good for molded on tools The second pic of the hull is the bottom portion How to remove all that resin so it will fit on the kit is a good question The third pic is of the transmission cover It too has a lot of resin to remove

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 03:57 AM UTC
Konrad
Thanks for the advice I will be ordering a late T23 Sherman turret from Steve That will be used on a Bandai M4A3 Any advice for making weld seams on this composite hull? That's really the only thing I don't care for on this hull
noxaf
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 01:32 AM UTC
HOLD THE PHONE CHAD....................I just found the ARMORAMA site and saw my name on a thread, the M4 hull you are holding in the picture is not my M4 Composite hull it is the M4A1 75mm Dry/Late hull with cast in applique. That hull is fairly rare and used most on DD tanks. If you ordered the Composite and that's what I sent you I made a mistake. Please contact me so I can get you the right one. Also Konrad is correct in building tecnique. You should only have to sand it flat, remove the sponson cover piece from the Bandai kit and then use super glue to attach.
Gstealer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 06:29 AM UTC
Steve,

I emailed you the other day about picking up a couple of your kits. Now I just have to decide what to order.. I'm a Sherman Newbie...

I asked here for input on them before I emailed you.. no harm meant, just wanted some info on the kits.

-Doug
koschrei
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 03:29 PM UTC
If you want something different you should try a Faxon conversion - with Steve's kits you can have some versions that just are not going to be kitted anytime soon (like that cast on up-armor big hatch M4A1 :-)).

As a first resin project they are definitely dooable if you steer clear of open hatches.

Konrad

Quoted Text

Steve,

I just have to decide what to order.. I'm a Sherman Newbie...

I asked here for input on them before I emailed you.. no harm meant, just wanted some info on the kits.

-Doug

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 11:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HOLD THE PHONE CHAD....................I just found the ARMORAMA site and saw my name on a thread, the M4 hull you are holding in the picture is not my M4 Composite hull it is the M4A1 75mm Dry/Late hull with cast in applique. That hull is fairly rare and used most on DD tanks. If you ordered the Composite and that's what I sent you I made a mistake. Please contact me so I can get you the right one. Also Konrad is correct in building tecnique. You should only have to sand it flat, remove the sponson cover piece from the Bandai kit and then use super glue to attach.

Steve
Replied to your PM Thanks for the correction I must be getting blind if I can't tell the difference between the composite hull and large hatch cast hull
 _GOTOTOP