_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sequence in building
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi,
I just started to build armor, and I face a difficulty (besides the 100 other problems regarding the armor-specific techniques).
What is the "correct" sequence of building a tank? In case of an airplane it's pretty straightforward. But in the case of tanks, there is one very big problem about the tracks. The whole hull should be painted and weathered before adding the wheels and tracks in order to achieve an uniform finish. But the tracks cannot usualy be painted and weathered after you put them on (they are mostly covered by the upper hull, the wheels are in the way, etc.), and they are pretty hard to paint separately. Not mentioning the difficulties of adding them to a completed vehicle.
How would you build a tank, then?
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 10:27 AM UTC
I usually just follow the steps laid out in the instructions, except for the wheels and tracks. I build the vehicle, then paint. After the vehicle is painted, I paint, assemble and install the wheels. The tracks I build last. I paint and do most of the weathering before I install them. After installation, I'll do some touch-up weathering on the tracks. The various washes, dustings, etc. come after everything is together.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 10:50 AM UTC
I buld the entire tank including the wheels(unless it has a million of them, like a panther or tiger, then I paint them seperately) .I then paint the tank in the basic color scheme of the vehicle (i.e. no shading,weathering etc.) , Then I paint the tracks on the sprue(if they are indy links) , build them on the model and do touch up imediately afterward.I then shade and weather the vehicle. Hope this helps...
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 12:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I usually just follow the steps laid out in the instructions, except for the wheels and tracks. I build the vehicle, then paint. After the vehicle is painted, I paint, assemble and install the wheels. The tracks I build last. I paint and do most of the weathering before I install them. After installation, I'll do some touch-up weathering on the tracks. The various washes, dustings, etc. come after everything is together.

Thank you all for the answers. About the "tracks last" thing: unless they are flexible and the links are not glued together (as I understand you have to glue most of the tracklinks together) - how do you put a rigid, fragile pre-glued track on a tank?

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 01:00 PM UTC
The method I use for indi-link track is to assemble them into upper and lower runs. First build the long, flat runs. Next I build the curved pieces around the sprockets and first/last roadwheel and usually connect them to the upper run. I use a spare road wheel to get the correct curve on the curved pieces. Lastly, I build the pieces that angle up from the ground to meet the upper run and attach them to the lower run. I leave them unpainted and off the tank. I paint and fully weather each section of track off the tank. Once dry, I then attach the two runs to the tank and do any touch up painting. Hit them with a drybrushing of a dusty color, along with the rest of the running gear to blend it all together. That is it. They are not really that hard when once you get going. Good luck.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 01:27 PM UTC
Years ago, on a long drive back from a model show, we had an impromptu build in the rental van. Rules stipulated that it had to be an out of box build.... A true out of box!..... It's amazing what you can accomplish with a sharp set of chiclets and the combination of spit, toe jam and ear wax................

FUBARed on a friday.............

Frank
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 01:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Years ago, on a long drive back from a model show, we had an impromptu build in the rental van. Rules stipulated that it had to be an out of box build.... A true out of box!..... It's amazing what you can accomplish with a sharp set of chiclets and the combination of spit, toe jam and ear wax................

FUBARed on a friday.............

Frank

???????

Think you need to lay off the booze, man.
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 01:30 PM UTC
Thanks again I just wanted to make sure before I start the "big" Tiger.

Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2005 - 01:30 PM UTC
Sorry Gino, just got back from dinner with the in-laws..................

Frank
 _GOTOTOP