_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Painting armor
azizmaz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 05:31 AM UTC
I tried something different last night while painting the olive drab base onto a tank last night. In looking at photos of tanks in WWII books I noticed that the paint almost always has several different shades of the base color mixed together. A kind of splatchy look to it due to weather, and what not, I'm sure. So what I did was mix up three different shades of olive drab, each one just a bit lighter than the next. I then put the first layer on with a brush using a kind of scubbing, blotting, and twisting action. I did the same with each shade. If it looked to light I used the dark base color, if to dark I used the lighter shade. After layering all of the shades together using the blotting, twisting, and scrubbing action I was really surprised to see it looked very close to what I was seeing in my Histrory of WWII book. It also much to my suprise had the texture of worn and weather beaten metal when finished. I don't have a digital camera to show it here but I thought I would like to share this with everyone. :-)
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I tried something different last night while painting the olive drab base onto a tank last night. In looking at photos of tanks in WWII books I noticed that the paint almost always has several different shades of the base color mixed together. A kind of splatchy look to it due to weather, and what not, I'm sure. So what I did was mix up three different shades of olive drab, each one just a bit lighter than the next. I then put the first layer on with a brush using a kind of scubbing, blotting, and twisting action. I did the same with each shade. If it looked to light I used the dark base color, if to dark I used the lighter shade. After layering all of the shades together using the blotting, twisting, and scrubbing action I was really surprised to see it looked very close to what I was seeing in my Histrory of WWII book. It also much to my suprise had the texture of worn and weather beaten metal when finished. I don't have a digital camera to show it here but I thought I would like to share this with everyone. :-)

AZI:
That sounds cool , Congradualtions. I dont think that I would have ever thought of doing something like that. The Blotting, Scrubbing, Twisting action you describe, What did you use ?? i.e. Paint Brush, Cotton Swabs, etc ?? I might give that a try sometime.

DAGGER-1 Peace Thru Superior Fire Power !!
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 08:29 AM UTC
Not bad wish we could see it though
Branden
azizmaz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 09:10 AM UTC
I used a 1/4 inch wide pony hair brush. I like this brush because the hair tends to get wadded up and makes for good scrubbing action. I have not been able to find one like it since I bought it years ago. any cheap natural bristle brush would work I'm sure. :-)
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 12:47 PM UTC
Just a couple of tips I've used in regards to painting and such...
If you want a good representation of mud on tracks and roadwheels, pick the color you wish for a base coat and mix it with some baby powder in a cut down dixie cup... It will add just the right texture and "clump", especially for 1:35 kits, and drybrush a bit lighter over the high points...
Also, anyone building an M1 Abrams who doesn't know already, the hubs of each roadwheel are clear plastic; Trim the existing color molded hub off flush and apply a (very) small drop of Testor's clear parts cement and window maker. Let it dry overnight, paint the bottom half black and apply a second drop over the previous one and when it dries, you will have an accurate look to the roadwheel hubs... :-)
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 06:25 PM UTC
hey great tip i'll have to try it on an old hunk to see how it work stug
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 02:18 AM UTC
I have read about a simular technique using a natural sponge and blotching the paint on a dark base. Kind of like they do on walls.
 _GOTOTOP