_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Odd White Scout Car
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 09:36 PM UTC
This is a White Scout car, converted to a guntruck mode. Used by the Philippine National Police, I guess up till now, in the southern islands to battle Muslim terrorist/extremist/separatists (PC police anybody?)

I can't find any other photos of these. Would make an interesting conversion.

There were stories that these vehicle saved many lives in ambushes and offensives and that extremists/separatists during the 60's-70's wouldn't go up against these. I'm still looking for that article. I can remember vaguely that a couple of grenades where thrown under the vehicle and yet it still kept on going.
moJimbo
Visit this Community
Shah Alam, Malaysia
KitMaker: 986 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 09:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

.....Muslim terrorist/extremist/separatists ....

simply and blindly associating muslims and terrorists is totally unacceptable. if you want to call them "terrorist/extremist/separatists" fine, but leave islam/muslims out of it.

... and i thought political rantings was disallowed here...
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 10:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

simply and blindly associating muslims and terrorists is totally unacceptable. if you want to call them "terrorist/extremist/separatists" fine, but leave islam/muslims out of it.

Please read back since I qouted (PC police anybody?) meaning I'm asking for any "political correct term". Not meant in insulting your creed. But if you do have some knowledge about the history of our southern shores, the only separatists are indeed Muslims and nobody else. I don't think I can have any other term for that my friend.
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 10:08 PM UTC
Mojimbo, in the case he refers to the terrorists are muslims.

Doesnt mean he is saying all muslims are terrorists or extremists.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 10:35 PM UTC
I agree, mondo doesn't say all Muslims are terrorist, but please let us don't start a discussion about that and just focus on the Scout car!

It is an very interesting scout car mondo! Nice one for the scratchbuilders out there! Also nice for the MP campaign currently running (or is that one over already?)

Martin
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 07:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have to agree with the other two replies. In this context he is not saying all Muslins are terriorists AND I believe in this case the rebels were Muslim extreamists.

cheers
Cliff
TacFireGuru
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
Armorama: 2,263 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 11:54 AM UTC
ON TOPIC:

Back to the vehicle:

It does seem that a talented artesian would be able to convert one into this particular vehicle; simple boxy sides with added armor? I think this one would merit an article.

Using the photos, the front and passenger side should be pretty easy (and assume the driver’s side is the same), but I think more pics would be required to represent the rear and the inside of the fighting compartment.

I’d love to see it done in 1/35th!!!

Mike
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 12:04 PM UTC
Mondo

If you happen to find the article you mentioned or come up with anymore pic of the scout car could you please post them. This has the makings of a very cool project. Besides I'm always looking for something different to do .
Harry
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 12:34 PM UTC
Chances are this vehicle ISN't based on the old M3 Scout Car - the dimensions are all wrong.

My best guess is that it's an extemporised armoured truck based on the chassis of the Japanese Nissan copy of either the old Dodge Power Wagon or M37 - check out the old skool dished wheels, the headlights mounts and the shape of the front mudguards (that's fenders for you Septics)

The Nissan copy of the Power Wagon/M37 was supplied to many Asian nations as military assistance - I saw many of them on the road in India as late as 1993...

Of course, this pedigree makes a conversion even more problematic

$0.02

acav out
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Chances are this vehicle ISN't based on the old M3 Scout Car - the dimensions are all wrong.

My best guess is that it's an extemporised armoured truck based on the chassis of the Japanese Nissan copy of either the old Dodge Power Wagon or M37 - check out the old skool dished wheels, the headlights mounts and the shape of the front mudguards (that's fenders for you Septics)

The Nissan copy of the Power Wagon/M37 was supplied to many Asian nations as military assistance - I saw many of them on the road in India as late as 1993...

Of course, this pedigree makes a conversion even more problematic

$0.02

acav out

I'm still searching for that article. I even dug up my old hard drive. I still didn't find it there. It was said that is was indeed A white scout car though, left over by the Americans. just wait till I dig it up. It can be wrong too though. All those added steel plates would indeed make the dimensions different from the original.

Those are the only photos I find of them. I'll try to get some more pics when I come home on Christmas.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:11 AM UTC
Dude,

People who caption things can be wrong - I work as an editorial designer and I know that to be a fact...
I'll stick by my original contention that the vehicle ain't and never has been an M3 scout car - the dimensions are all wrong; check out the side shot and the placement of the drivers position relative to the front wheel.
On the M3, there's more horizontal and less vertical difference between the front wheel and the drivers seat - BUT that ratio fits the profile of the Nissan Power Wagon/M37 copy.
Also the mudguards/fenders are all wrong in shape and style for an M3, but right for the Nissan/Dodge copy, as are the dished wheels.
That, sir, ain't no M3.

acav out
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 02:02 PM UTC
This truck is the Nissan/Datsun Weapons Carrier copy that I believe to be under alla that armour...

acav out
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 03:49 PM UTC
Another photo of the Nissan/Datsun Carrier

This description from http://www.ratdat.com/history/1933to1958/1933to1958_pic.html

4W73 - 1952
Nissan's Carrier was their first large purpose built 4x4 truck designed, it would appear with military use in mind. The Carrier had a 3956cc six cylinder gasoline engine with 125hp available, which might sound linke a respectable output until you consider the Carrier weighed 2.7 tonnes. the transmittion had four forward speeds with a 6.14:1 final drive. The bed featured fold down seating for carrying passegers (troops?) and a removable canvas cover.
 _GOTOTOP