_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
My 'nam Duster
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 02:08 PM UTC
Well, chucked the Italeri Huey.. man what a piece of work that was..
So that left me with a bit of an issue for the campaign.. On to
Tamyias motorized M42 Duster.. Went together pretty well..
Here are some shots of the lower hull..

tried my hand at some preshading and some post shading
on this build.. I love learning new stuff..

Just some putty to sand on the turret and then I can paint and weather it...
Any and all comments welcomed

Dave
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 02:25 PM UTC
Looks like you did a nice job on it so far. Not bad for an old dog of a kit. Couple things I see that you could improve it with. Your tracks are on backwards. The V should point down when viewed from the front. Tail lights are also incorrect. The only red is on the top oval on the left side. Under the red light is a horizontal black line for the blackout marker position light. On the right side is a small horizontal black line for the blackout marker stop light in the upper crescent, and a longer horizontal black line for the blackout marker position light in the lower crescent.

Here is an example on a M113 (actually a experimental ACAV, can't remember the M#, 700 something), same light set-up though.

Overall, good job. Few tweaks and corrections and it will look even better.
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 02:35 PM UTC
Love the paint job and weathering. Very subtle and realistic. Looks like the decals went on without any problems either.

Will you be replacing all those molded on grab handles on the turret? I remember building this kit a hundred years ago, and that was one thing I changed.
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:23 AM UTC
Doh.. Thanks Gino.. Ill get those tracks switched out ASAP.. and fix up the lights..

Burik. the turret is actually mounted with a set of twin 40mm cannons.turret

Dave
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 11:06 AM UTC
G'day mate
all i can saw so far is WOW, ive heard that this kit isnt worth the time of day, however, is that OOB? if so then stuff what everyone else has said im gonna get myself one!
Love the little slogan on front of tank, seen it on a few vehicles, always gives me a laugh.
Cheers
Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 11:27 AM UTC
Yes sir, this is right out of the box... PE and I dont seem to get on that well... :-)

Dave
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 12:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

G'day mate
all i can saw so far is WOW, ive heard that this kit isnt worth the time of day, however, is that OOB? if so then stuff what everyone else has said im gonna get myself one!
Love the little slogan on front of tank, seen it on a few vehicles, always gives me a laugh.
Cheers

I wouldn't rush out and get it. Dave has done a lot with what is there. The kit is still pretty bad. Lots of soft detail, simplified parts and stuff that is just not accurate. The kit is not much more than a motorized toy from the 1970s. With work, it can come out great though. Check here to see what it can be made into. I had to basically rebuild most of the model to get what you see there. Can be made accurate, but it takes quite a bit of work.
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 01:01 PM UTC

Burik. the turret is actually mounted with a set of twin 40mm cannons.turret

Dave, yes I know. I guess I mean the 'turret tub,' if you will. See all the little hooks around the tub (I called them grab handles)? I suppose they are for tying stowage and whatnot. On the kit they are just molded-on blobs.
 _GOTOTOP