_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Stretched Sprue Antenna
vproject
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 09:00 PM UTC
I'm a newbie at modeling armor and I always wondered on how you make those antennas for the tanks...
godfather
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 465 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 09:55 PM UTC
you take a bit of sprue the plastic frame holding all the parts of teh kit. Hold over a candle and ratate when it starts to bubble and bend either twist and pull apart or pull apart. Important! as you pull apart move away from teh flame. you should get a nice thin piece of antenna. Takes a bit of practice and timing. BTW I read that 57 mm is scale length for 1/35th german antennas.
ShermanSam
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 11:51 PM UTC
i use copper wire for the atenna.
there is no flame in the region that can ruine the antenna

greets ShermanSam
Bluefalcon47
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 11:52 PM UTC
Guitar string might be another solution. I have several diameters that I got from my father (he plays the guitar, not me #:-) ).
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 01:51 AM UTC
Couple of things, each 'type' of plastic will soften at a different rate, so test and play with each kit.
Once you have reached the desired streetch hold still until the plastic hardens a bit. It will keep it from bending (unless you are looking for a bend).
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guitar string might be another solution.

I agree. Flexible enough to bow when you tie it down. Dip the end in krystal kleer to form the plastic ball at the end for modern types.

I never could/did master the stretched sprue method, altho I did have better luck stretching gray tinted sprue (DML/Dragon) for a better thickness consistancy.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
ShermanSam
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 02:08 AM UTC
Bluefalcon47,

what diameters do you use for us ww2 vehicles?
what are the costs here in Holland for guitar strings?

Shermansam
DRAGONWAGON
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 501 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 08:13 AM UTC
Hi,vproject. I'm sticking with copperwire as well, mounting them on the antenna stand with small coil-spring...Just like the real thing!

Bye, John.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 02:53 PM UTC
I used the stretch sprue method once and won't do it again. It is very brittle, at least the Tamiya sprue I used was after heating and stretching it. It is just about imposible to not hit the antena against something if you take it to shows or move it around and it is nice to have something with a little give to it to keep it from breaking off. I had good luck with some super thin tubing from plastruct and will use it again, but the other items listed sound like good choices also.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 03:39 PM UTC
That's strange, my stretched sprue antennae are very bendable. If they get hit, they bend away, only to spring up again. I have found the light gray plastic from Dragon works best, but I haven't had any problems of brittleness from the dark green Tamiya stuff either. If you can get a good, straight, long piece of stretched sprue that has a nice point at the end, I think the result is better than with wire, but I have used wire too and been pleased with the outcome (though it can be tricky to stick in place, without drilling a deep hole, I have found).

Nic
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 202 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 03:41 PM UTC
For some strange reason I never could get the stretching thing right. Long ago I purchased a $.99 vinyl paint brush that has supplied me with many years worth of antenna and will for many more yet.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 05:05 PM UTC
I leared the black art of stretching sprue from the late, great builder Jim Jones of the Worcester are of Massachusetts whose Shinano was featured inFSM in 1992 or so. Take a Mark I sprue stretcher, AKA Bic disposable lighter. Heat a bit of sprue until it folds over. release the Mark I sprue stretcher nad grasp bith end of the heated sprue. Pull your hands apart until you get the desired thickness. Hold at this point for a momoent or two until hte plastic cools or attach a Clamp, M-1, Alligator, aka Clip, M-2, Roach, to the stretched sprue and let it cool before cutting to length. Attach with superglue but DO NOT use accelerator. The beauty of this methd is that each kit provides a nearlyunlimited amount of sprue at no extra cost.
80a2
Visit this Community
Flevoland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 144 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Bluefalcon47,

what diameters do you use for us ww2 vehicles?
what are the costs here in Holland for guitar strings?

Shermansam

I bought a little guitar string set for €5
 _GOTOTOP