_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Academy M151A1
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:54 AM UTC
Have I been sleeping or has anyone mentioned the new 1/35 scale Academy M151A1? From the picture of the completed kit it looks like it heavily favors the older M151A2 that was a poor copy of the Tamiya M151A2. At first glance of the photo, the fenders and blinkers look to be an A1, but the windshield looks to be the one-piece glass piece found in the A2, not the two-piece windshield used on the M151A1.

DJ, do you know if the one-piece windshield was also used on the A1?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:19 PM UTC
Rob--I looked in my scrap book and have no shots of the A1 using one piece glass.
DJ :-)
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:55 PM UTC
Same here, all the shots of M151A1s in my Vietnam era books only show the 2-piece windshield. Looks like Academy skimped when popping this one. It also looks like it has the same problems that the Tamiya and Academy M151A2 had--the rear rides too low.

I'll still get one if it's not too much.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:43 PM UTC
Rob,
Thatīs a model I really like, and Iīm sure that all A1 was equipped with 2 pieces windshield, only the M151A2 was equipped with a single piece windshield.
BTW, where did you see those pictures, and have you seen the israeli version?
Thx
BETO
Sabot
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 10:38 PM UTC
It's in the April 2002 issue of Fine Scale Modeler in an ad for MRC/Academy models. No Israeli version is shown.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 11:46 PM UTC
I saw it Sabot, but didn't make a mention because I thought it was a cheaper rehash of the A2 variant they've already got out too. Strange in light of their recent efforts with the M12 and M10 vehicles. I was waiting to see other photos or pictures of the prototype model before commenting...

Gunnie
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2002 - 12:32 AM UTC
Rob--I will go out on a limb and say that the A1 and A2 windshields are probably interchangeable. They placed numerous alterations on the A2. However, the basic size of the vehicle remained unchanged. So, it appears to me that you could interchange windshields. I vividly recall getting rid of the A1s which were really down at the mouth overused vehicles. The two piece really restricted vision especially when the top and doors were emplaced. Dangerous vehicle to drive and the cause of numerous injuries and deaths in the hands of the inexperienced.
DJ
m75
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 03:12 PM UTC
The windshields used different hinges to bolt to the body. If anyone ever tried to "upgrade" an A1 to the A2 windshield by simply switching the windshield, the new one leaned back WAY too far. On my 1/1 scale in the driveway, I accomplished the swap by including the proper hinges, and it sat correctly. Plugged in a power lead for the wipers, and it was just fine. The A1 glass area was smaller than the A2 also.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 05:37 PM UTC
I posted a full review of this item. Hopefully Jim will get aroung to putting it up in the reviews section. Suffice it to say, it is an all new tooling. YTou could always do a field chop and remove the windscreen completely, a standard Nam practice.

Jack be useful
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 08:14 PM UTC
Got one awhile back. You must be sleeping cause you told me about it. Their is a litle line that goes down the middle of the clear windshield that you paint so it is two piece. Well looks like two piece. Totaly new kit pretty nice.
link follows
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/acd1323.htm

Rob's losing it
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2002 - 11:58 PM UTC
No I'm not. It's just a new user bringing back a 4+ month old thread. Look at the original thread date.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 03:42 AM UTC
I can't speak for the the regular A2 variant out, but I just received the 'Shmira version.First for the techie side , An aquaitance said the suspension is closer to the A1 type that tended to roll more and the upper part was basically an A2 variant except for the light layout in the front grill.
As far as the Israeli stuff goes I have to give it thumbs down the only extras you get are the roll bar. Mags(front and rear), left side water can,modified rear seat and some generic radio gear. The locastion of the rear pintle for the Mag is wrong It should go up against the back wall with a 'U' shaped channel across the back. It doesn't give you the ammo can rack under the passenger side footwell or the sometimes used swingarm for the passenger side Mag. The vehicle could definitely use aPE update for thing like safety straps, weapons clips and so forth. There is lots of pics of IDF mutts out there so reference shouldn't be hard to find. All of the things BTW that come in the Legends conversion set.

At about $13 Its cheap enough to buy as a base kit.I don't think you can tell the difference in suspewnsions all that easily, but I'm not a Mutt expert. Overall I'd give it a 5 out of ten as I expected a bit more from academy when comparing all the extra goodies given in previous kits. This would have been anice double kit if they would have given us the parts for the IDF TOW.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2002 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No I'm not. It's just a new user bringing back a 4+ month old thread. Look at the original thread date.

Stand corrected Sorry Rob. I should of known Better that the Master of kits would sleep on this.
 _GOTOTOP