_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Challenger 2 external fule tanks
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 03:36 PM UTC
Working on Tamiya's Chally 2 "Desertised". Putting together the external fuel tanks and was wondering what sort of wear and tear they would receive. Are they assigned to each tank permanently or are they "generic" to a unit and you are issued a set full, then they are swapped out when empty? Are they filled on the tank or detached and sent back to the fuel depot to await fueling and the next tank in line? I guess what I'm after is, how many dents and zings would they have? We always seem to dent the hell out of the Russian external tanks (whether or not that is operationally correct, it does "look" right after all) so what about the English ones?
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 12:32 AM UTC
Well you can bang them up a bit if you want ..here's a picture from the Primeportal site...

Rick
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 04:55 AM UTC
Mike
If you have a rummage thru this site

Plain Military

You should find some pics that will help you.

Pete
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Armorama: 449 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 12:28 AM UTC
Hi,

You may want to detail the straps of your Chally 2 as well.

Here's what I did to my own Tamiya Challenger 2:

Basically what I did was remove the molded-on locks and straps of each fuel drum. I then made the straps using sandpaper. For the locks, these are aluminum sheet (the same thickness as found in baking pans) which were cut and drilled to shape, wire, and some styrene. BTW, the locks can be locked and unlocked (basically hooked) so I can, depending on my mood, replace one fuel drum and place baggage as found in other Chally 2s, or remove both fuel drums, or whatever.

HTH.
 _GOTOTOP