Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 12:42 PM UTC
Hey folks,

I just raided my in-laws' stash and picked up an M48A3, a Sheridan, and
a Duster. I noticed from some old pics and some stories that they would drape chain link fence around the body of the tank to stop or slow RPG's.

How would I simulate this in 1/35th scale?

Specifically, what should I buy to create this?

Also, if you could give me some good color combos for Vietnam clay dirt that would be very helpful too. I'm coming from a WWII armor modeling background.

Also, for you Nam Grogs out there: My late father in law was wounded while in an M113 APC in 1967. What are the variants of that vehicle?

thanks in advance

Mike
Recon
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
Armorama: 764 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 01:09 PM UTC
Go to a fabric store and ask for wedding veil. It works really well for chain link fence.
Recon
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 01:12 PM UTC
The old Tamiya M113 ACAV kit included a small piece of light gray mesh that represented a rolled up piece of chain link fence. I would look at nylon window screen material to replicate this.

During Nam the M113 or M113A1 would have been the standard infantry/cavalry versions of the M113. The M106 was the mortar carrier, the M577 was the command post, the M163 Vulcan was the air defense version, all used in Vietnam and available as 1/35 kits.
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 01:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Go to a fabric store and ask for wedding veil. It works really well for chain link fence.
Recon

I second the wedding veil idea. Worked great when I was building a model railroad layout (before I moved and lost the use of the entire basement ) It comes with many different sized "holes" to approximate the correct scale appearance. And, buying it in bulk at a fabric store is a relatively cheap way of procuring scale "chain link".
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 01:37 PM UTC
Hey Mike,
I have a few that came with the older kits, your welcome to them if you want. Give me a PM w/ address and I'll send them out.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 01:39 PM UTC
Aluminum screen (the actual woven type) is a pretty good match to chain link fence
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 02:49 PM UTC
we used angle iron to stake em down in front of and out to the sides. mebbe some sprue would do good for that.

reb
Rhino
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 01:54 PM UTC
Many fabric stores carry the product known as "Tulle" this is what is often used as bridal or wedding veil. It comes in several different sizes and spacings.

Plastruct or Evergreen plastic "L" shapes make great stakes to attach your chain mail fence to. Or if in transit then simply roll it up and attach it to the vehicle.

Be sure to dye the Tulle gray before using ,because painting it can be a real bear.
 _GOTOTOP