_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Blown up tiger...how?
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 05:29 PM UTC
Sorry, it should've read "Panther"....
I have a diorama set in my head; it envolves a hit Panther with wounded coming out/off of it while being surrounded by US pieces{Half track w/cannon, another half track w/soldiers, and maybe an M-8}.
My question is how do I do the Panther damage to the tank that wouldn't kill everyone on board, yet totally dissable the tank....track/engine hit in back?
Next question...now to model it...anyone seen any good pics of a wounded Panther?
Can anyone help?
Jenny
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 08:09 PM UTC
HI Bob ,
, Hmmmmm, Hey , How about .....
Panther drives alonside buiding , US troops come up behind , blows the track off with bazooka ,stops movement of tank , Tries to traverse gun which can't turn because ......... of the power pole which has the gun stopped against it . Totally rendering the tank useless . The M8 is manouvering around to the side at close range to belt the Panther in the side , point blank range to blow its ammo . The infantry advance to capture the crew . The crew , shaken , are forced to surrender or blow up with the Tank . Oh the crew aren't wounded Hmmm . Thinking cap back on again .
Jenny :-)8
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 08:54 PM UTC
Take a look here, lots of inspiration.

http://www.battlefield.ru/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=204&Itemid=105&lang=en

pzkfwmk6
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 456 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 03:32 PM UTC
Here's a thought, If your Panther is an early without the chin mantlet, a rebound shot off the mantlet damages the turret ring.
A nice shot from your 75mm halftrack knocks out the rear idler and breaks the track.
You now have a harmless kitty with a dazed crew (from the mantlet shot ).
If you want a pic of something different, I can scan a shot from a book in which a pzrIV has a nice hole through the center of the barrel-----sideways.
Regards, Ed
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 02:46 AM UTC
"Hole thru the side of the barrel"...I'd love to see that lucky shot!
Excellent ideas all...I was heading for the David verses goliath theme...panthers being easy pickins that they are{not!}. My thought was the rear shot to take out the motor and therefore loose a pump to turn the turret but if the sadi motor is electric there goes that theory...I do like the can't run turret due to obstructions theme.
Thanks for the input...next prob is the acual damage that needs to be built in to the panther....
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 10:50 AM UTC
Panthers could take hits from 75mm's (close range) and 17 lb'ers that would penetrate and/or crack the armor on glasis, sides, or turret, and not neccessarily kill the entire crew. If there was no explosion, then usually only the crewman closest to the hit would be killed or wounded, and the rest of the crew wounded and/or dazed. Wounds could range from minor schrapnel cuts to loss of limbs.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC

If you have the inclination,
A building wall next to the Panther. A pair of GI's on an upper floor with a since fired bazooka.The strike of the bazooka is into the top of the engine deck.Motor destroyed,some burning form the engine area.The hydralic turret traverse is disabled,allowing the troops from the halftrack to advance on the Panther.The German crew as they leave throught the rare hatch on the turret are "captured " by the rest of the American troops in the rear of the tank. (++) (++)
jpzr
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 316 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC
Lots of ways to model that type of scene. The sides and rear of the Panther were very vulnerable (40mm), being penetrable by the gun of a Stuart or M8 at close ranges. I've seen an interview of a TC of a Stuart who KO'd a Panther by putting 4 or 5 rounds into the side/rear sending the crew scattering. I don't think he said the Panther brewed up. Anyway, you've lots of creative license here.
 _GOTOTOP