Hosted by Darren Baker
greenslate wall, second try
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 04:11 AM UTC
Ola (this greeting is stolen from Faust:) because it sounds so cool)

Some of you might have seen my last attempt at making a greenslate wall, if not check it out below:

Most of you agreed that it doesn't look like a slate wall because it lacks all those horizontal lines which are a characteristic for slates. So following your advice I've managed to achieve this:

You can see all the "layers" of the slate here, so I guess it looks better than the last bunch of stones. I will combine those two methods to create something similar to my reference picture you can check out here:

Reference picture

it has stones cut in various directions, which looks very nice and should look even better when recreated in 28mm scale. I will also add different hight of stones, to make the wall look even more realistic. It can be a bit tricky to add all those horizontal lines on 1mm thick pieces, but all the work should be worth it.

So what do you think, does this look like a slate, or not??

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestion,

take care,
dsc.
modelci2000
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 05:41 AM UTC
Ola ( this greeting is stolen from Tom )

It looks perfect go ahead
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 08:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ola (this greeting is stolen from Faust:) because it sounds so cool)

I actually am honoured that somebody finds my greeting cool!!! don`t know what to say. Thanks

The second attempt on the greenslate wall looks terrific and when you will add more variety in thickness of the individuakl stone blocks you will have a perfect wall. Also when you paint it you can really bring it alive. Cool thing is that these type of stones often vary a lot in color I have seen it from darkgrey with a hint of red here and there. to Lightblueish grey, to green, to almost sandcolor so a lot of variety can be done.
your first wall on the other hand is not bad... true it is not really a greenslate wall but it does quite a convincing job as a Granite block wall. I also like that job.

Probably I have missed how you make these blocks. really curious about your technique as the result you are showing are really nice.

Mojo
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,339 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 08:22 AM UTC
Fine looking slate there... Even though you feel that you missed the mark with your first attempt, it still looks pretty darn good for feild stone.. I wouldnt be tossing it out... I'd like to know your technique for makes those stones too..

Dave
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 08:57 AM UTC
I think the second attempt is lots better..Looking at your refernce pics..if you could..i would vary the thickness of each stone slate..and also..try not to make each end a 90 degree straight cut..if you look at the slate in the ref. pic..you will see some are pointed on the ends etc. Just my two cents worth..keep up the good work...

Mary (++)
Norseman
Visit this Community
Oslo, Norway
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 177 posts
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2005 - 09:29 AM UTC
It looks much better now. So when you build your wall with slates of different hights, I guess it will look great.

dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:45 AM UTC
Ola

Thanks for the replies people:)

Murat: glad you like it my friend:)

Robert: I agree that using different thickness stones and different colours will be a great way to add more detail to this wall.
I also think that my first attempt isn't bad, the thing is that it's not greenslate. But it should work pretty well as a different kind of stone wall.

Dave: I won't throw it away, as it looks pretty good.

Mary: yup, I promise to add different stone thickness and uneven edges:)

Henrik: different thickness should add a lot variety to this wall so I agree with you:)

I described my method in my previous post but you have to add one more step to it, so I will copy-paste it here and add the missing part:

1. get some dental plaster and cast some flat (1-3mm thin) plates, wait for it to dry

2. break them into smaller pieces, use dental tools to add some texture

3. take an x-acto knife and use it on the face of the stones to add horizontal lines, try to make them parallel. They don't have to be perfect, but should imitate all the layers that slate stones have.

4. glue them together with pva glue, you can also use wall filler to imitate mortar

Quite easy to make and looks good, so pick up your x-acto knives and try it:)

cheers,
dsc.
 _GOTOTOP