_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Which Compressor
harryblack
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 08:18 AM UTC
Can anyone help, I bought a Standard class Revell Airbrush as a raw novice on a low budget and have started getting the hang of. Trouble is I go through the propellant cans like there' s no tomorrow so am now looking for a compresser. I have been looking at the Revell Gamma which should suit my needs as a novice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Martin
Erik67
Visit this Community
Buskerud, Norway
KitMaker: 1,871 posts
Armorama: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
This is what I'm using. Works like a dream and make about the same noice as a refridgerator.

Cheers
Erik
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 08:36 AM UTC
ignore brand names , after buying a Pasche and a badger compressor I found the best compressor fro less than either and its a beut too I,ve been using it hard for about a year and a half with no complaints-
harryblack
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 09:06 AM UTC
John
Can you advise me on what I'm looking for in a compressor ie what PSI Diaphram etc then if I find one on the internet I'll know if will be suitable for the job.
Thanks
Martin
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 09:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John
Can you advise me on what I'm looking for in a compressor ie what PSI Diaphram etc then if I find one on the internet I'll know if will be suitable for the job.
Thanks
Martin

Here's the specs-
http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=396
harryblack
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 09:31 AM UTC
This is what I found on ebay buy now £57.99!
A MINI AIRBRUSH COMPRESSOR

SPECIFICATIONS:

Body: High resistance injected aluminium.

1/5HP Electric Motor - 240 V
Air displacement ……….. 2.3CFM
Effective air…………….. 1.8CFM
Air Pressure…………….. 50PSI

Connector……………….. ¼” gas thread

Air hose………………….. 8.25Ft

Diaphragm Neoprene with nylon-reinforced center

Total weight…………….. 4.5Kgs

This versatile mini compressor, is ideal for many types of jobs around your daily life such as, painting and spraying w/ air brush or spray gun, inflating, nail art, spray tanning designer or modelers art.

Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:10 AM UTC
Martin,
Since you're in the UK, and you're unlikely to get one shipped from abroad because of their weight, I'd suggest you go for a ripmax. You need a small tank, a moisture trap, and a regulator. It will set you back around £150, there are cheaper ones on the market, but you'll sacrifice something. After thoroughly searching for quite a while myself, the Ripmax one offered the best balance of features offered. It's quiet too! I know Antics sell these on-line and offer a cheap delivery service, but do a google search to see who else does them and at what prices.

Vinnie
invasion1973
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi,
Having recently started using an Airbrush I also found myself unsure what compressor to get much like yourself.

In the end I went for this: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=81393&ts=29306

At £64.99 it is a bargin, much better quality than a lot of the AB compressors around it has a 1/4 BSP fitting that my Iwata airline screws directly onto with no problems.

the only thing I wish I had done was get the 24 liter version for another £10 so it gave me more options for using other Air tools.

Hope this helps

A J
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:24 AM UTC
Be aware that the Screwfix one is noisy though Martin, and you will need to get a moisture trap at some point or you'll get water 'spitting' from your brush.

Vinnie
harryblack
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:27 AM UTC
AJ
Was it ready to go on arrival or did you have to buy any hidden extras?
Thanks for your advice I think I'll go for it as it is within my price range and comes recommended.
Martin
harryblack
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:34 AM UTC
Vinnie
Thanks for your advice, i'm on quite a limited budget (wife & 2 Kids) so the cheaper option sounds better it also looks far more versatile than the Revell Gamma.
Martin
invasion1973
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AJ
Was it ready to go on arrival or did you have to buy any hidden extras?
Thanks for your advice I think I'll go for it as it is within my price range and comes recommended.
Martin

Hi Martin,
Yes it was ready to go on arrival I didnt have to buy anything else.

This model has a a brass thumbscrew that you can unscew and then anywater present in the receiver should flow out. I have been using mine without a moisture trap with no problems at all, although I will be getting a Iwata moisture trap soon at a cost of £15

it is a little noisy although once the receiver tank is full the motor shuts off then only comes on for a few seconds ( about 5) to top itself up when pressure falls by approximately 2Bar

A J
TheOldGuy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 14 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 03:03 PM UTC
You can go cheap and quiet.
I bought a compressed airtank (5gal) from the big box home reno place, a regulator with guage, water trap and some fittings. All told, about $60 cdn.
The tank holds up to 150 psi so I take it to the gas station and fill it to about 100 psi. My airbrush hose goes though some adapter fittings and I have enough air pressure to paint for hours without noise.
amywoods
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 - 04:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,
Having recently started using an Airbrush I also found myself unsure what compressor to get much like yourself.

In the end I went for this: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=81393&ts=29306

At £64.99 it is a bargin, much better quality than a lot of the AB compressors around it has a 1/4 BSP fitting that my Iwata airline screws directly onto with no problems.

the only thing I wish I had done was get the 24 liter version for another £10 so it gave me more options for using other Air tools.

Hope this helps

A J

I was also unsure about the compressor and had a search around. I use this 24l one, it is expensive but does the job! https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p17751
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 300 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 01:35 AM UTC
I love the Silentair Scorpion units.
http://silentaire.com/silentaire/scorpion.asp
Doodeck
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Monday, November 27, 2017 - 01:53 AM UTC
Well, I use Revell Standard class compressor with my Revell airbrushes for some 6-7 years and have absolutely no problems with it. Has a pressure regulation, has a moisture trap, not noisy (working in an apartment)... Gets warm after some longer spraying sessions (in my case that's about 30 mins of running) but never too hot to worry me. At this point I don't see what more I should expect from compressor, especially considering the price of it.
 _GOTOTOP