Hosted by Darren Baker
Hetzer ambush camouflage
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:49 PM UTC
Hi all, I'm been building a Tamiya Hetzer in between other projects. Now the model has a base of Dark Yellow, I'm ready to proceed with the rest of the paint job. So here is my question. As I'm doing the Hetzer in the ambush camouflage and there aren't any masks availiable, does anyone have any tips on how to do this camouflage ??
Thanks
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:39 AM UTC
I would paint by hand using Vallejo acrylics. It is possible to make your own mask from paper, but the results are variable.

Vinnie
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:49 AM UTC
Check this build feature in the Track48 gallery . It may give you some hints.
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:56 AM UTC
Thansks Geoff, interesting....but I wouldn't call it a build feature? There's no text, just pics. Great pics though! Masking fluid is a great idea for the main colours, but impossible to use for the 'spots'. I think brush is still the way to go for these.

Vinnie
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

....but I wouldn't call it a build feature? There's no text, just pics

If you want the text, you'll have to go here . Unfortunately its all in German.
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:59 AM UTC
Interesting build, luckily I can read a bit of some German.
So it looks like either hand painting, or a liquid mask and spray. Probably hand paint it.
What Vallejo equivalent would you recommend for Tamiya XF-61 (dark green) and XF-64 (red brown).
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 04:07 AM UTC
Just as the Hetzer was being released I found a section which I think was on the Tamiya site which showed how to make a mask for the ambush scheme. I've never been able to find it again but perhaps with some diligent searching it could be re-discovered. However, now for the good news, the Hetzer is an early mid-production version, therefore was produced before the ambush scheme was introduced on these vehicles.
GLenn
Gstealer
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 70 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 04:17 AM UTC
I painted my 1st ambush scheme on the Tamiya Hetzer earlier this year and am quite pleased with the way it turned out.

I would recommend using blue-tak for the masking. This was the first time using this masking medium and it was much easier than I expected or hoped. It conformed to the deatil of the kit and was very easy to remove with an extra blob of the stuff and a toothpick. I just made little snakes of the putty and pressed it down with my finger until it was about where I wanted it. I then fine tuned it with a blunted toothpick to get the edge i wanted. The best part it was easily removeable if I didn't like how the area was going and could give it another shot .

It was a little tough to keep from squishing it as I painted and added the next level of camo, so I left the hull halves separate and glued temporary handles to the inside of each half.

Good luck with your build and show some pics as you go.

-Doug
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just as the Hetzer was being released I found a section which I think was on the Tamiya site which showed how to make a mask for the ambush scheme. I've never been able to find it again but perhaps with some diligent searching it could be re-discovered.

This is the link you were looking for, Hetzer camo
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 07:26 AM UTC
Yes, that was it. Pity that the ambush scheme on an early mid-production vehicle is an anachronism.
GLenn
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 09:06 AM UTC
Hi Glenn,

I have photos from the BMM plant in the summer of '44, of a Hetzer with plant Ambush scheme, and with the mid-production traits,...

missing lower hatch at the back end,
initial straight muffler

Let me know what you think, I'm about to start painting my Hetzer, and visual verification of one , is good enough for me!!

pg 16,17 of Hetzer by MBI (Vladimir Francev - Charles K. Kliment)

Frank

Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 10:34 AM UTC
Check the Osprey book (Garfield has a copy). The Tamiya Hetzer is an August/September production: new mantlet but old exhaust muffler and no small engine access hatch at the right rear. If BMM was painting the ambush scheme at this time then Skoda wasn't or something like that. All I was trying to point out was that the ambush scheme is not de rigeur for painting a realistic looking Hetzer produced during this time. Some of them were received by the troops with only the dark yellow base.
Glenn
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi Glenn,

The photos I have show the vehicle from four different angles, and clearly show all the features that would make it a 2nd series Hetzer,.... considering that at least one was documented, it is probably safe to say that the assembly line in question would of manufactured a few more, with the ambush scheme. Again,... I could be wrong in this assessment...

Please don't think I'm isolating you, Glenn, but we must as a group, be very careful not to dismiss peoples work based on what we think is 'correct', I sure am NOT an expert of this vehicle, but do have one piece of reference to defend the Japanese site modeller in question. I've seen way too many modellers put together fine pieces only to be dismissed for being innaccurate....

With that said, Glenn, I continue to enjoy your never ending quest to educate the non-48th crowd!... keep it up....

Frank
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:32 PM UTC
That's my point, Clanky. If everyone is doing their Hetzers with the ambush scheme then it will become the norm for painting this vehicle. What I am saying is that it doesn't have to be if the modeller does not want to paint it this way or is having trouble. There are multiple ways that this vehicle can be presented. The point is to enjoy the painting aspect and create a satisfactory and still realistic camo scheme to the best of your ability. Therefore, if you enjoy the challenge of the ambush scheme, do it. If you want to keep the vehicle in dark yellow only, that too is acceptable, as is any combination of field applied schemes.

On a similar note, I have a colour photo of a late production Hetzer captured by the British in the late -war Skoda scheme of dark green and red brown with ivory/cream stripes and only a hint of dark yellow on the wheels. The black and white photos of this vehicle are reprinted in many sources, showing multiple aspects of the vehicle. However, in B&W the cream colour can easily be mistaken for dark yellow. (see Fighting Vehicles / Chris Ellis and Peter Chamberlain : Hamlyn, 1972)
Glenn
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 04:23 PM UTC
Glenn,

Say what you will, your words where:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, that was it. Pity that the ambush scheme on an early mid-production vehicle is an anachronism.
GLenn

If you're unaware of the meaning of the word, "anachronism", don.t use it!

mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 08:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the replies everyone, and the link ukgeoff.
I'm not an expert on Hetzer camouflage, but I have seen various models of Hetzers with all kinds of camouflages. Look in a recent issue of FSM for example.
I want to expand my modelling abilities and have chosen this camouflage for that reason, and it looks cool to.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 04:52 AM UTC
anachronism, from the Greek literally meaning "up from time" (ana==up, just as analyze means "loosen up" but I don't remember much more from the course in Biblical Greek I took so many years ago)---back to the main point I stand corrected. Rather than an anachronism, I should have said the ambush scheme was not the exclusive camo scheme. The new Concord Panzers in the Gunsight shows a Hetzer with the early mantlet and an ambush scheme. However, other vehicles from this time could be delivered in dark yellow overall or with the curved edge scheme. So if the modeller doesn't feel confident in trying the ambush scheme for the first time or fears making a mess of the paintng and possibly ruining the model, you don't have to do this scheme in order to be realisitc.
Glenn
GLenn
Larry_dunn
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 02:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's my point, Clanky. If everyone is doing their Hetzers with the ambush scheme then it will become the norm for painting this vehicle.

True, but if you think about it, this applies to other aspects of the hobby as well. From modelers' collections, you'd think every German tank was a Tiger II, except those early Tiger Is, all of them with the gnomus painted on them.

By the way, on a completely different subject, I haven't been able to get onto the Fine Scale Modeler boards for days now. Is this just me, or is there some problem?
 _GOTOTOP