Hosted by Darren Baker
Diorama progress PICS
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:15 PM UTC
Hey all, ive been getting back into my diorama again and this is what ive come up with.

A new tree that i made from bragdon enterprises pine boughs. I feel this tree seals in the inner corner of the switchback.

Here is the overall diorama. I painted the stones in the streambed and larger stones here and there.

Here is the marder that has has driven of the creek bank into the creek bed. I want to try and get the tank to sit against the bank better...

View from behind. Made some progress on the tree leaning over, and i look forward to adding pine needles around the trees.

This is my attempt at water (polyester casting resin) with leaves and debris in it. I havent added a tint to this one because i wanted to see how well objects detail will show in untinted resin.

Well thats what i have so far, hopefully you guys like it. Next steps are to....get grass in mail! then i will do some grass...forest litter...then tanks....then water....and oh yeah, those dreaded figures!

Ian
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 04:21 PM UTC
Ian, this diorama is goin great! I cant wait to see the groundwork finished, but I cant wait for the grand finale the finish of the diorama. Keep us posted for sure, even if you havent made much progress. Its a weekly update.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 06:17 PM UTC
Ian , I'm glad you posted the project pics. Its looking great so far. You have really done some terrific things with the roots and rocks. i'm looking forward to seeing it with the new grasses and shrubs we have been talking about. Please keep working and keep us posted. cheers Kevin
modelci2000
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 06:41 PM UTC
very very realistic Ian It'll be an impressive dio
bodymovin
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 06:49 PM UTC
Thanks guys, i just finished making the pine needles that will be scattered around the circumference of the pine trees, i will wash with reddish colors and maybe try some grey in there too. Should be FUN!! If i dont mess up that is.

Question...Should i place any grass under the pine trees? or would the acidity of the pine needles not allow any plants to grow directly under? Or is it the light issue.

Anyways, i will keep ya'll posted on my progress.
Ian
Black_Water
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 06:54 PM UTC
Wow. That's really impressive! I like the overall setup with the switchback. Very cool. The trees also look very good. How exactly did you make them?

Looks awesome!

Chris
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 07:45 PM UTC
Ian dont put any any grass under the pine trees, it wouldn't grow there. you can however bring the grass right up to the curcumference of the pine trees. looking forward to seeing them. Cheers Kevin
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 08:16 PM UTC
Looking real nice Ian, Your soil is very effective. I have one suggestion though. I think you should put a small pine tree to the left of the tree in the switchback. Nothing big, I would lean towards putting it at the base of the hill where it borders the road and make it tall enough so you can see what is happening on the top part of the road. What do you think?
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 08:28 PM UTC
your groundwork looks dark, moody and excellent.

great work!
bodymovin
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 08:50 PM UTC
Thanks for all your comments/suggestions/compliments i really appreciate them. Heres to answer your questions...
Chris: The trees are very simple actually, once you buy the pine boughs from "bragdon enterprises" (search google for them). Next, you can shape the pine tree trunk from wooden dowels, or buy the preshaped dowels from bragdon enterprises. Take a wire brush to scratch some texture into the trunks...then paint. Super glue branches onto trunk as needed. Simple and nice!

Kevin: Thanks for the advice...just what i thought. I'm just trying to figure out how the best way to arrange the broken branches from the pines with the needles...

Andy: I like the idea, but can you explain better im not following you completely

Jon: Thanks for the comment, thats exactly what i was going for! Especialy with the root trees it gives it that sleepy hollow look to it...hopefully haha.

Thanks for the comments all!
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 09:21 PM UTC
Ian..great to see you posting some of your progress again. I think you are doing an awesome job. The trees and the ground work look really good. I can't wait to see it once you get the water going.

Keep us posted...

Mary (++)
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jon: Thanks for the comment, thats exactly what i was going for! Especialy with the root trees it gives it that sleepy hollow look to it...hopefully haha.

Thanks for the comments all!

You're more than welcome.

Groundwork, no matter how well it's done, can all-too-often end up looking like an afterthought. It's a shame because often the models are really great.

Your earth has the sleepy hollow look you wanted, that's for sure. Shame you can't add the mist we'd all love to see seeping between the trees ;-)

Jon
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:02 AM UTC
Good to see you back Ian... Things are shaping up nicely, I agree with you the Marder needs to fit the ground better but other than that I think all is going well. The storyline continues looking forward to seeing more, Are you going to add some color to the stream? Do it slowly and you should have no problem seeing the debris, and stones. Good luck. Can't wait to see more!
Simon
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 878 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 02:40 AM UTC
That looks like a great project. Very realistic road. Good work
BobTavis
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 219 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 03:22 AM UTC
Unless the trees will be weighted by snow, pine branches go upwards not downwards.

SGT.Busche
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 167 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 07:32 AM UTC
Looks fantastic. question though. Where did you get those leaves? they look great. your pines look great as well. the Dio that I am working requires a lot of leaves and i have been trying all sorts of diffrent types from the suggestins of the fine people here at the Big A but ai am not satisfied yet. So what did you use?
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
Ola ian

Looks mighty cool this progress and I can already tell this is a really interesting project you are working on at the moment. . I too am looking forward to the next installments and also am looking forward to the finished piece.

Great job on the trees too although I second Bob Tavis point that Pine branches grow upwards

bodymovin
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hey guys, WOW is all i have to say...I dont recall getting this many comments before! Im kind of stalled for the moment until the stuff i ordered in the mail comes, but i will fill you guys in on you comments/questions:

Mary and Jon thanks for the comments, i will keep you guys posted, and boy i wish i could simulate fog, that would be awesome! It would really add to the confusion of the ambush.

Paul, i intened to add a ochre tint to the bottom-most layer and almost clear resin toward the top. I have to pace myself so i dont rush this diorama and ruin it as i have done in the past.

Hey Bob, i realise that alot of pine species do that but i was trying to simulate a more willowy type pine like these:

Also i think the pine you posted is more common in a dryer north american setting.

SGT. Busch, i got these leaves from my backyard! Its from the seed pods of a a birch tree. The only stinker about these are that with the seed (leaf) comes two waxy tansparent pieces that help the seed become airborne when it is released. So you have to do the tedious work of separating this chaff. I have enough for a lifetime right now, but ill check around my neighborhood to check if there is any pods left on the trees, and if there is, I could send you some if you like. PM me.

Thanks Robert, means alot coming from you!

Thanks to all that commented
 _GOTOTOP