_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4 105 Howitzer Questions
Taylornic
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 337 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 10:58 AM UTC
Hey everyone!

I was researching some things on one of my 3 Sherman projects today. I came across some info on M4 105's (not A3's).
Seems they were built on A3 type upper hulls, but still used the Wright engines, which I didn't know.
If my info is correct, how would one go about modelling an M4 105?
Thanks,
Taylor
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:33 AM UTC
Taylor
From the front the M4 and M4A3 howitzer tanks looked the same However the engine decks,rear hull angle and exhaust plates were different Try Tank Workshop for the M4 Howitzer tank conversion You get a hull and turret with gun for around $25

www.tankworkshop.com
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seems they were built on A3 type upper hulls,

As Chad says, the M4 and M4A3 hulls look very similar from the front. What may be throwing you off is that they were both built on the large hatch 47 degree versions of their respective hulls. The M4A2 47 degree hull doesn't look much different fronm the front, etiher.

Paul

Taylornic
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:59 AM UTC
Chad, That is exactly what I need, thanks!!!!

Paul, you are exactly right! I never researched it before. I always thought that a m4 howitzer was built on the 60 dergee hull, so I always thought there was a distinct look between a m4 and the A3 versions.

I would see a pic of a m4 and see the 47 degree hull and just thought it was misnamed. I never paid attention to the engine deck, which should have tipped me off.

Would this setup have upswept rollers and solid wheels, is this the way to go with the suspension?

This should be the last question!

Thanks again guys!
Taylor...
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 12:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul, you are exactly right! I never researched it before. I always thought that a m4 howitzer was built on the 60 dergee hull, so I always thought there was a distinct look between a m4 and the A3 versions.

I would see a pic of a m4 and see the 47 degree hull and just thought it was misnamed. I never paid attention to the engine deck, which should have tipped me off.

Would this setup have upswept rollers and solid wheels, is this the way to go with the suspension?

Thanks again guys!
Taylor...

Taylor
I do believe the upswept arms are the correct arms for this later type The Tank Workshop conversions are designed for the Tamiya Shermans so you know

The solid road wheels would be the most common type for a 1944-45 Sherman However I have seen some later Shermans with the open spoke wheels
Taylornic
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks again guys!
Taylor...

Taylor
I do believe the upswept arms are the correct arms for this later type The Tank Workshop conversions are designed for the Tamiya Shermans so you know

The solid road wheels would be the most common type for a 1944-45 Sherman However I have seen some later Shermans with the open spoke wheels

Great, thats all I needed to know. Oh... one more question.... Just kidding!
Thanks for everything guys!
Taylor
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 12:23 AM UTC
Your easiest options to build an M4 (105) would be to modify the Tamiya M4A3 (105mm) kit -- not too hard. Or to buy a resin coversion kit. Armoured Brigade used to make one. OOP now and very expensive on eBay.

Tankworkshop produces one. (someone gave you their home webpage). They now package them with some souped up hatches from Tigermodels (very nice)

However, here's a deal you can' t pass up. One online store is disposing of all their TWS older stock. Item 0009 for about Cdn$16. CAn't beat that! All you need is a donor Tamiya Sherman 75mm kit.

http://www.bentbutnotbroken.com/Clearance.htm#TW

I just got some items but not that one.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 12:38 AM UTC
Fujimi's ancient 1/76 scale M4 105mm Sherman is based on this variant with late style upper hull and radial engine, but has HVSS suspension instead of the earlier VVSS suspension.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 12:50 AM UTC
Rob is 100% correct. I shouldn't have just assumed you meant 1/35 scale. Both the M4 (105) and the M4A3 (105) appeared in vast numbers with the HVSS suspension, too.

Anyways, there was a recent discussion on how to convert existing kits into the 105mm if you aren't interested in getting the TWS one.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1133605474/Kitbashing+a+M4+105mm

The Tamiya 1/16 Sherman is an M4 (105) straight out of the box as well, if you want to go that route!
Taylornic
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC
Roy, yes I should have stated 1/35, sorry. Thanks for the link, I will check that out.
I actually came across the info for this,tank, while searching for info on an A3E8 105 I want to bash together with spare parts.

I bought 2 BoB Shermans, one to build, and one is giving up it's straight roller suspension for my Tamiya early project.

The split loaders hatch turret is going on my Irzyk E8, along with the front armor from an old DML E8 that had it's hull crushed in a move some years ago.

The spare BoB hull is going to be used with the spare E8 suspension from the old DML E8. All that is left is finding a good 105 turret to drop on it.

Who makes the best turret for my E8 105 project?

Are we all confused yet??? lol :-)
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 05:26 AM UTC
What's the best? Well I'd say the OOP Armoured Brigade one. But good luck finding one for under $30.

I'd get the TWS hull and turret from barrel store, frankly. For Cdn$16, it's well worth the time you'd spend correcting your DML hull's engine deck and rear bulkhead. And you have the turret too!

You can definitely use the BOB kit with its hull and HVSS to mate w/the TWS hull.

If you don't want to go that route, I can send you some spare resin parts that I have lying around (for the 105 turret). Email me your mailing address.

Rgrds,
RC
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not to be a wise acre, but DML's kit of the M4A3 HVSS POA-CWS-H5 already does this variant. I believe you can just leave off the coaxial flame gun to build a normal 105mm howitzer tank.
Taylornic
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 10:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not to be a wise acre, but DML's kit of the M4A3 HVSS POA-CWS-H5 already does this variant. I believe you can just leave off the coaxial flame gun to build a normal 105mm howitzer tank.

Hey Robin, that is correct from what I have read. But, I don't have that kit, I can't find it, so I was thinking it is oop?

I thought about building that kit, but when I couldn't find it, I decided the next best thing was to use my spare BoB hull and spare E8 suspension and find a turret for it. That is why I was curious what everyone would advise for the best turret for this bash.
 _GOTOTOP